Jotul F600 - Alcove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bilbonics

Nov 5, 2014
Carbondale, CO
I am about to install a Jotul F600 that I found used. The plan is to remove the old fireplace and build an alcove. I would like to use the stove to heat the back of the house too so I was thinking of opening up the right wall to the hallway. This would hopefully also allow access for side loading convenience.

I would love some thoughts on this idea.

1978 called and said they want there ZC fireplace back.
Original photo of fireplace.png
Inspiration
Jotul F600 Stove.jpg
Concept
small Alcove no right wall.png

The F600 would require a wide alcove to accommodate the side loading door. Two initial concerns with this plan that I would have are support of the chimney structure and clearances to combustibles. Instead maybe consider refacing the fireplace and rear exit into the fireplace. Also, is that a ZC fireplace? If so a liner will be required.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replay.

I would like to remove the old fireplace and the chimney in its entirety and do a complete build out. I could make the alcove 6' wide and ~7' tall if that would be better.

The manual stated the right door is prohibited in an alcove but also states "Use of the Side Door is prohibited in any Corner installation or Alcove installation in which the door is closer than 36” to a combustible wall." With the right wall open the nearest wall other than the vertical support is over 36".

Also is it acceptable to have a mantel like in my inspirational photo?

It's ok to lower the hearth if that is the question as long as the hearth still meets the stove requirements. However the alcove requirements for the stove do not look like they will be met. In particular the stove ceiling clearance and the right door lock. Perhaps consider lowering the hearth step, extending the hearth and rear venting to a liner through the fireplace.

The F 600 really throws off a lot of heat, especially off the top. The manual calls for 48" clearance above the stove for an alcove installation. With the stove being just over 31" tall you would need around 80" of clearance above the stove. Your concept picture doesn't show anything close to that clearance. You can reduce the top clearance to 15" if you have a protected ceiling, but I'm not sure what that entails. I'd be surprised if a heat shield with one inch air space could provide sufficient protection in this installation.

This looks like a ZC fireplace, but just to be sure, is it? Or is it a full masonry fireplace? If ZC how wide is the chase on the backside of unit and is it interior or exterior?

It is some type of prefab/ZC that will not accept an insert. The fireplace is still in the wall. I have not started demo yet. The fireplace however is 40" wide and area on the backside that is surrounded by fire resistance wallboard is 68" wide. It spans floor to the ceiling. In the attic is a ~18" to 20" galvanized pipe that leads to a chimney on the roof.

How would one recommend building the alcove in the inspirational picture?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.