Jotul F600 Replacement Glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bill2021

Apr 3, 2020
Boston
Hello,

I have the Jotul F600. I am replacing the glass. I purchased new glass online that came with the gasket already wrapped around the glass. Do I also have to add gasket to the door where the glass fits in? I have tied a few times to place the glass in the door without any additional gasket, and the door seems to flop around, even after I tighten it down with the clips.
Any help would be appreciated.

Did you also remove the door gasket when you removed the old glass?

The door gasket will also need to be replaced then, preferably with the OEM gasket.

So gasket in the door. where the glass will rest against it, as well as the gasket wrapped around the glass? Both?
The glass itself didn't have gasket wrapped around it before.

The door gasket is different from the door glass gasket. There should have been both in place before disassembly, though the door glass gasket doesn't always wrap around the edges.

Post a picture of the door with the glass installed so that we can be sure about what you are seeing and concerned about.

The door gasket is different from the door glass gasket. There should have been both in place before disassembly, though the door glass gasket doesn't always wrap around the edges.

Post a picture of the door with the glass installed so that we can be sure about what you are seeing and concerned about.

Attachments

• IMG_5939 (3).JPG
    IMG_5939 (3).JPG
    193.3 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_5940 (1).JPG
    IMG_5940 (1).JPG
    180.6 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_5940.JPG
    IMG_5940.JPG
    180.6 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_5938 (1).JPG
    IMG_5938 (1).JPG
    157.3 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_5939 (1).JPG
    IMG_5939 (1).JPG
    193.3 KB · Views: 147
Seems as if i place a piece of gasket under the clips, that is enough to hold it all in tight. Just not sure if that would be safe enough. Or whether I need the gasket in the door, or is the gasket on the glass itself sufficient?

Seems as if i place a piece of gasket under the clips, that is enough to hold it all in tight. Just not sure if that would be safe enough.
That should be ok. The door gasket is shot and actually missing near the door handle. It must be replaced.

Yes, I'll do that.
Seems very tight with the gasket added under the clips.
Thanks for taking a look at it.
Stay safe!

I looked at this again and realized that the F600 double-door glass is gasketed differently than our F400 was. The F400 has a flat tape gasket on the door glass. On the F600 door there is a channel for a gasket there and the manual lists this gasket as 42" of 1/4" low-density gasket (LD250). I think you are ok with the flat tape gasket, but the truth will be in the stove operation. If you find the burn is uneven or burning too strongly then the glass may not be tightly sealed. I would try it once the door gasket has been replaced and see if operation is normal. It's probably ok, but keep an eye on it for the first couple fires. If the burn is normal then you are good.

Note that there is a Jotul gasket kit that covers this. You should probably also replace the ashpan door gasket at this time.

The tape has burned off on one side. Seemed like a good tight seal. but the tape has wilted back, and I didn't even have a full load in the stove. It was just a few pieces of wood.
I'll put the 1/4 gasket in the door, then place the glass over that. I'll remove the tape that is left on the glass. I didn't have the tape on the glass previously.