Jotul Firelight...pre cat ignition

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NHcpa

Minister of Fire
Feb 16, 2014
Honyock NH
Outside temp 45 and dropping...predicted frost overnight central NH. Stack temp at 300 and climbing...usually close damper for cat at 600D. Had stove going last night and house stayed at 70D with sun today.

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
HI looking to buy a stove like this jotul 600 cat has been over fired seller said back panel warped side panel are good he also said damper is not warped i am going to look at it can you tell me what all to look at how can i tell if damper is warped or not i know you can buy all parts but the damper he want 500 for stove said i can take cat out too look at it is 500 to much if it needs new cat thanks

I am not familiar with the 600 (others are). I can tell you that a back plate can be replaced as I did on mine and as far as I know, all parts are still available. my Firelight is a 95 model and a back plate covering the cat combustion chamber is under $150. I've replaced gaskets as part of regular maintenance and I've replaced the cat at least 4x which isn't that bad considering the time I have had with this stove. I know the combustion chamber components are pricey ($500+) but I have read where others have recently replaced theirs to rebuild. A cat is @$200. Does sound like the stove your looking at had some intense heat...so I would check for cracks. I am sure others will chime in with better information and advice. But I like my stove, now have a Harman pellet and if I had to chose one or the other, I prefer the wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.