Jotul GF300DV - Won’t stay, shuts off 2 minutes after lighting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mounirfj

Oct 27, 2018
MA
Hello guys-
I found this forum to be very informative and was hoping it could help me resolve my problem.
We have a Jotul - GF300DV - Allagash gas stove that is exactly 22 Months old. We tried to run it for the first time this season, it keeps shutting off about a minute and a half after we light it (we hear an audible click and both pilot and flame shut off)
I went outside and check the vent pipe, it is not blocked and can feel warm air coming out)
Any suggestions?

Note- the stove was NOT bought from Anderson Fireplace- however friends of ours recommended we reach out to you.

Thank you-

Mounirfj

Hello guys-
I found this forum to be very informative and was hoping it could help me resolve my problem.
We have a Jotul - GF300DV - Allagash gas stove that is exactly 22 Months old. We tried to run it for the first time this season, it keeps shutting off about a minute and a half after we light it (we hear an audible click and both pilot and flame shut off)
I went outside and check the vent pipe, it is not blocked and can feel warm air coming out)
Any suggestions?

Note- the stove was NOT bought from Anderson Fireplace- however friends of ours recommended we reach out to you.

Thank you-

Mounirfj

Update:

I checked the orifice, thermopile, thermocouple... they’re all in working condition.
Then, I checked the vent... I removed it entirely and fired up the burner (with windows & exterior sliding doors fully open)... the problem was gone and the unit ran perfectly for 30 minutes.

Put the vent back on, the problem is back...

Any suggestions on how to resolve this?

Thank you!

Attachments

• 8E19985D-F286-4990-ACFC-6C7A5390C176.png
    8E19985D-F286-4990-ACFC-6C7A5390C176.png
    105.6 KB · Views: 464
We have found the problem & it will be corrected by the original contractor.
Cap was unsecured to the venting & the exhaust gases were mixing with
the incoming combustion air stream, & screwing up the ATF.

Hi!-

I'm having the exact same problem with the exact same stove. DAKSY, can you give me any more info such that I can correct this problem myself?
Or is this something I should definitely have a contractor do?
Thanks!
Charles
We have found the problem & it will be corrected by the original contractor.
Cap was unsecured to the venting & the exhaust gases were mixing with
the incoming combustion air stream, & screwing up the ATF.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry I realised I posted this incorrectly! I have a 370 not a 300. I posted in another thread as well.
To answer your question no I still usually have the same issue although the flame and pilot light do seem to look better with the glass open.

I'd say you have either a venting blockage or a venting misalignment...
What does the pilot flame look like if you remove the logs?
Does it move off the thermocouple?

I shall investigate. In general my pilot light is pretty blue and small(although I've never really dealt with these before so just going off what I kind of expected), I would say it does seem to have some difficulty staying on the thermocouple.

For a venting blockage would you recommend I take a look on the roof?

So it seemed like the thing that solved my issue was cleaning the line to the pilot light but I was fiddling with a tonne of things. The issue was definitely that my pilot was not what it looks like now. It's definitely triple the size.