Jotul Oslo 500 Maintenence questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

acesneights1

Oct 18, 2008
North East CT
Hey newbie here. I have a Oslo. It's about 3 yrs old and been used heavily. I bought it new. It doesn't seem to be burning as hot as I feel it should. The damper does not seem to have alot of effect on the flame. I have it sitting in my fireplace with about 5 ft of 6 inch flex going into a 12x12 masonry chimney that is about 15ft high. The guy at the stove dealer said I need to run a liner all the way up because the stove is not getting enough draft. I spoke with a chimney guy and he said(now this is a chimney co , they love to sell liners) he doesn't think it's my problem from what I describe(he did not see the stove). He thinks I have an air intake problem with the stove itself. The Jotul manual says nothing of cleaning it or where to clean. I took off the thing inside with the 3 holes and vac'd it out as best i could. Anything else I can do and where should I be checking. The stove burns better if I crack the ash door a little bit but I know that's a no-no. I am burning 1 yr old red oak.
Thanks.

Have you had the chimney cleaned in the last 3 years? If not, I would have a sweep come in and clean it up and then look at your setup. From what I've heard here and other places the liner is a must in a masonry chimney to get these stoves to really burn efficiently...

I basically just want to make sure the air intake is not restricted but I don't know where to check. I just ordered a liner from Chimneydepot. I am going to line it anyway because I want to move the stove out in front of the fireplace.

Status
Not open for further replies.