Jotul Oslo Break-in fires

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ansehnlich1

Retired Hearth.com Member
Dec 5, 2006
Adams County, PA
Howdy,

1st fire I took to 200 degrees as instructed in the manual, a week or so ago, the next one I went to 300 degrees. This morning I went a bit past 400 to 450, it's hard to judge you know :)

Anyway, we had some boiling sound, a bit of flux or something maybe?, boiling off??? Anybody ever had such a thing?

Starting the fire in the Oslo, well, I'm new to the EPA stove, it takes a bit to get 'er going. I did crumpled paper, then 8 or so pieces of kindling, then a small split on top, kept side door cracked til it got going, then closed her up. Once the cast iron get's hot she gets going real good.

So what about the boiling anyway???

New furnace cement has moisture in it. You're likely just burning it off...

Not tryin' to be a wise guy, but did you have a wet round or split in that burn?Sizzling sound?

Hey, no wet wood here, dry, like, think sahara :)

ain't been no real rain here all summer, i mean, dry, dry, dry.

I'm thinking some left over flux, grease, moisture in the cement there, or something.

I have a Jotul Oslo and didnt have any experience hearing a boiling sound, I did have fumes from the paint burning in. Did your glass soot up at all ?
About how long has your wood been split/stacked and what kind of wood is it?

Here are a couple things I do with my Oslo:

When I start a fire I crack the ash pan door and leave the stove door open about 1/2 inch until the kindling catches real good. What ever you do, dont leave the ash pan door open/unattented for very long
(you'll be able to forge steel like a blacksmith)

I use fine steelwool (and hearth glove) to clean the white powdery residue and light soot on the glass when needed when the stove is firing....works really, really good.

The WoodButcher

WOODBUTCHER said:
I have a Jotul Oslo and didnt have any experience hearing a boiling sound, I did have fumes from the paint burning in. Did your glass soot up at all ?
About how long has your wood been split/stacked and what kind of wood is it?

Thanks for the post Butcher, I started the 3rd break in fire with 8 or so kiln dried splits of pine about an inch or less in diameter topped with a couple pieces of real dry wood. I know the sound of water evaporation from wet wood, this was NOT that.

My wife saw a drop of dark fluid on the hearth brick, wiped the bottom right hand edge of the stove, and came up with a small amount of brownish fluid on a paper towel, I mean, a real small amount. Maybe something in the stove cement burning off, I'll keep an eye on it next burn and see what it does.

ansehnlich1 said:
Thanks for the post Butcher, I started the 3rd break in fire with 8 or so kiln dried splits of pine about an inch or less in diameter topped with a couple pieces of real dry wood. I know the sound of water evaporation from wet wood, this was NOT that.

My wife saw a drop of dark fluid on the hearth brick, wiped the bottom right hand edge of the stove, and came up with a small amount of brownish fluid on a paper towel, I mean, a real small amount. Maybe something in the stove cement burning off, I'll keep an eye on it next burn and see what it does.

Re the dark fluid, I had the same issue. Jotul will fix it under warranty or it will fix itself over the course of a few weeks (creosote, ash will fill). Put some tinfoil under it until it stops.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/3578/

Re, the leaving the ash pan door open during startup, this will invalidate your warranty. Please see the manual. You can leave the side door cracked during startup. I confirmed this on the jotul website. BUT DEF DON'T USE THE ASHPAN DOOR! See...

http://www.jotul.us/Content/StandardPage____2710.aspx

This thread maybe helpful as well...

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/4008/P0/

I installed an exhausto fan this year to help with my short stack draft problem. I'll start a new thread with the results when I start burning.

Re the sizzling, I can't remember honestly. I seem to recall it was fairly wet inside the firebox for the break in burns.

Any other questions, just let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.