Jotul Oslo f500 corner hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Uortiz414

Mar 12, 2021
Baltic CT
Hey guys I’m new to the forum, but I’m running into a issue with my new Jotul Oslo hearth size. I’m putting it into a corner of my house, it going to be double wall pipe and possible a rear heat shield. I’m wondering how big of a CORNER hearth I need? There no durarock or brick on my wall just plan old sheet rock. Also I checked the Manuel and everything I can’t seem to find any info on what size to use. Thanks in advance

Between these 2 illustrations from the install manual, you should be able to calculate what you need.
You are given the corner installation minimum dimensions with double wall pipe
& the minimum requirement for in front of the stove...

1615556797017.png1615556848863.png

Cut out a cardboard template and place it in the corner.
Note that the side door of the F500 needs to be locked when the stove is in a corner install. It needs 16" clearance otherwise.

I have an oslo in a corner install. The biggest issue you will face related to clearance is the side door. It's been a great stove for me. Good luck! Is yours a V3?

Thanks for the help appreciate it do you have a Oslo as well?
No, I had to pass on the Oslo for this reason when I upgraded from the Castine. I needed a front loader for our corner install. There was no point in paying for a feature I couldn't use. No regrets though, it turned out well.

I have an oslo in a corner install. The biggest issue you will face related to clearance is the side door. It's been a great stove for me. Good luck! Is yours a V3?
Mine is the V3 brand new, also your hearth how big is it, I just want to compare i made mine 55x55” just to be on the safe side

See mine, I'll have to get back to you with the exact measurements. The goal was to get it as far back as possible. You will need the rear heat shield. See the manual, but I think the rear corners needed to be 14" from wall. That was perfect so the side door swings fully open, 180 degree swing. Access to side loading is perfect, much better than the front. As you may know the front loading has some issues. My stove pipe to the cathedral ceiling is single wall with a rear heat shield.

IMG_1664.JPG
I put the Oslo in the corner. Hearth is 56 x 56. I did use the copper heat shields, even
though I had 14 inches of clearance.
Although I built the house I hired out the wood stove install. I thought the installer might
refuse to do it due to the corner install but he didn't say a word about that.
We don't use the side door.

We love the Jotul, girlfriend calls it her "new religion." She is a city girl from Atlanta but she loves wood stoves.

Simon., HA!! I think we could tell you don't use the side door! The quintessential Oslo front door ash spillage example.

I put the Oslo in the corner. Hearth is 56 x 56. I did use the copper heat shields, even
though I had 14 inches of clearance.
That's a good plan. This is a radiant stove like the F400. I had our Castine an additional 5" from the wall over spec and the drywall still got too hot for my comfort. It was often around 165º during cold snaps when the stove was being pushed for heat with a 650º stovetop temp. The contrast to the convective Alderlea is dramatic.