Jotul Oslo installation - Updated 11/19

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Dali Lima

Hearth Supporter
Oct 22, 2007
Central Connecticut
Looks like we got the a-ok from the wife for a little work to be done on the house! I will be ordering a Jotul Oslo in the next week and then we start working on the reconstruction. I will be taking out two pocket-door walls to gain access to a long run of exterior wall so I can create a backdrop and vent the stove properly. I'll post pictures as we go along to give you a taste of the work. I might even keep a digital diary and submit to This Old House. Who knows?

Thanks for all your help in answering my questions!

Good luck, Steve...we're all countin' on ya. RIck

sweet!
looking forward to the play by play.
you aiming to get heat this winter? if so you better hurry.... and also get some wood.

I hope you check to see when that stove will be delivered. Many are having major delays!

I am not looking to heat this winter. This is more of a break=in winter. I'm going to get a cord of wood and start cutting some other wood to have available, but I realize that I'll be heating intermittently this winter.

Yeah, looks like the Jotul won't be in until late November. I have a call into another dealer to see if that timing is better. I have some work to do prior to installation, so that gives us some time. I have an installer coming by next week to give me an estimate on installation costs and timing.

It's good to have an indoor project in wintertime. Rick

Ok friends, I ordered the Jotul F500 today in brown enamel. The stated delivery time is Mid-October to End of November. Not exactly a specific date, but at least I'm on the "list". I spoke with two chimney installers and I have a decent idea on costs. I think I'm going to have the chimney installed first so we can build the hearth and wall-protection around the thimble since the stove won't be around until the end of the fall.

We will probably start demolition in the next 2 weeks so I'll be sure to take some pictures!

Best of luck!

In years that I had a meager wood stock (like when I broke my ankle really well), I limited burning to the worst cold weather- like under 20F.

Now, hopefully, I'll be ahead a couple of seasons and won't run into those issues.

The Dali Lima said:
Ok friends, I ordered the Jotul F500 today in brown enamel. The stated delivery time is Mid-October to End of November. Not exactly a specific date, but at least I'm on the "list". I spoke with two chimney installers and I have a decent idea on costs. I think I'm going to have the chimney installed first so we can build the hearth and wall-protection around the thimble since the stove won't be around until the end of the fall.

We will probably start demolition in the next 2 weeks so I'll be sure to take some pictures!

I love demolition! :coolgrin: Have fun & send us pics! Rick

Just another update... set up the chimney install for December 6th, so that leaves me two months to build my hearth and "fake" fireplace prior to the official install. I just ordered the wood (should be delivered in the next few WET days) and I have some more coming next week from a friend. I expect we will be starting demolition of the "site" in the next two weeks...

A quick update...

The Jotul Oslo is in and delivery is scheduled for 10/21. Wow - that we pretty fast. I was really expecting delays given what I've read here and the discussions I've had with retailers. Not too bad - less than a month (it is at the store now, but I'm not ready for it).

I scheduled the chinmney install for 12/6. Got the first cord of wood delivered and stacked last week.

I guess I'm on my way! We expect to start the demolition next week and hope to have the general Hearth built by the 21st.

Here is my prediction- you're gonna have this beautiful new toy installed and you won't be able to help yourself. faced with a meager supply of dry wood, you will resort to smashing pallets and buying those expensive bundles of wood at the grocery store. However- you'll be warm and happy.

A good woodstove can get you laid.

Steve,

I think you should update you signature as you go along. Right now it should read.

"Ordered stove, empty wall and a living dream in my heart." :)

Congratulations, great stove choice. Just make sure your wood is dry, Oslos like most stoves hate wet wood.
Ed

The Dali Lima said:
Looks like we got the a-ok from the wife for a little work to be done on the house! I will be ordering a Jotul Oslo in the next week and then we start working on the reconstruction. I will be taking out two pocket-door walls to gain access to a long run of exterior wall so I can create a backdrop and vent the stove properly. I'll post pictures as we go along to give you a taste of the work. I might even keep a digital diary and submit to This Old House. Who knows?

Thanks for all your help in answering my questions!

youll like the oslo, good stove, youll need good dry wood and a good chimney. the oslo seems to be kinda draft fussy. leaving the side door open an inch when your first firing up helps.

Ok, here are some initial photos from our deconstruction. We took out a pocket wall to get access to the main exterior wall. In the process we open our living room/family room into one larger room. I love it! As a by-product, we've created a much more open floor plan for the stove to heat.

Here's a picture of my resident carpenter and his "helpers" (my daughter and son):

OK, now here is a photo of the cleared wall:

We were going to go with a half-wall on one side, but ended up taking that down as well.

So here we are with our exterior wall and the taped-out Hearth:

Nice demolition, but there are child labor laws. :)

HA! Helping my dad do demo in our house is a very fond memory for me. Something they'll talk about forever. Just make sure they don't "help" take down other walls when you're not there LOL

GOT THE STOVE TODAY!!! WAHOOO!!!!

First things first. We cut the floor and installed the tile. As you can see, it is flush with the existing oak hardwood. I need to grout the tiles tonight.

And the stove came today, and is BEAUTIFUL!! The enamel is perfect. It will look sweet on the tiles in a day or so.

Looking good. The dog seems to know this is the place of future warmth. Where's the flue going to be?

Status
Not open for further replies.