Jotul stove condition

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Geoturf

Mar 30, 2022
Wisconsin
Hi,
New to this site. Hoping someone can help out with my situation.
I have a Jotul Model 3TDIC-2 and have had it for 30 years. It's got a catalytic converter.
Still have the original cat plus a newer one which I switch out between cleanings. I clean the stove and pipe completely at the beginning of heating season then clean the pipe mid-season. Last cleaning done, early January.
All good for years until now.
Late February I checked the pipe from the roof because I wasn't getting good performance and found heavy level 3 creosote.
Stopped burning until I could get that removed. I had a local company come out expecting they would remove the creosote with Poultice Creosote Remover.
The Service tech said I must have had a chimney fire. He said the pipe needed to be replaced and insurance may cover the cost. He also said the stove could be faulty. He wrote a report for me to file with my insurance company to file a claim for pipe reimbursement. Still waiting to hear if insurance will reimburse me.
Here is my dilemma.
I think the insurance may pay for new pipe but probably not for a new stove.
I'm concerned about putting new pipe over a stove that may cause the problem to come back.
How do I know if my Jotul is faulty?
What indicates there is a problem in the stove?
It looks in great shape, I don't see any warping of metal.
I take good care of it, and it has not over heated. I have a flue thermometer and run at 300 to 500 degrees.
The service tech is offering to examine the stove for $400. That seems to be throwing money down the rabbit hole.
I'm good with paying for new pipe but only if I can be sure the stove is in good shape.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks

You may live to regret making a claim against your homeowners insurance on a 30 year old venting sys. that is more than likely simply used up and needing replaced. I'll reserve comment on the, um, gracious $400 stove inspection. Where in Wiscony are you located?

And welcome to Hearth

Hi,
I live in Waukesha County. It's just outside of Milwaukee.
The service tech doing the inspection found what he said was evidence of a slow burning chimney fire. He wrote an inspection report and said that should be sent to insurance for a claim. Perhaps I'm putting too much faith in his evaluation, but that ship has sailed.
I am good with replacement of the venting system since it is old. If I have to pay completely for it, that makes sense.
What I'm concerned about is putting a new system over a stove that is at fault.
I don't know how to determine whether the stove is the problem. Paying $400 for an inspection to a company that wants to sell a new stove doesn't make sense.
Thank you for your advice, I appreciate the help.

Hi,
I live in Waukesha County. It's just outside of Milwaukee.
The service tech doing the inspection found what he said was evidence of a slow burning chimney fire. He wrote an inspection report and said that should be sent to insurance for a claim. Perhaps I'm putting too much faith in his evaluation, but that ship has sailed.
I am good with replacement of the venting system since it is old. If I have to pay completely for it, that makes sense.
What I'm concerned about is putting a new system over a stove that is at fault.
I don't know how to determine whether the stove is the problem. Paying $400 for an inspection to a company that wants to sell a new stove doesn't make sense.
Thank you for your advice, I appreciate the help.
So how old is the cat you are using?

I have 2.
One is the original, 30 years.
The other is about 12 to 15 years.
No cracks or obvious signs of wear on either.
Do they go bad but still appear good?
I’ve been suspicious of that being the problem.

I have 2.
One is the original, 30 years.
The other is about 12 to 15 years.
No cracks or obvious signs of wear on either.
Do they go bad but still appear good?
I’ve been suspicious of that being the problem.
They only last 12000 to 15000 hours. It's also possible that the stove needs torn down and recemented at this point but the cat is certainly bad