July 4 Splitting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PA Fire Bug

Feeling the Heat
Jan 13, 2010
Blair County, PA
I guess I was celebrating my independence from foreign oil on the 4th of July. It was very hot and humid but I had the day off so I borrowed my neighbor's log splitter. I set up a portable umbrella to stay in shade. I was much easier than the work I did on other wood splitting it by hand. The pictures were taken today.

July4-2.JPG
Most of this is maple from a neighbor's farm. Some was some knotted maple that a tree service left at a friend's house. The maple split really nice except for the knotted pieces.

July4.JPG
I still see flames from a fire that I burnt earlier today. We burn all of our paper and cardboard instead of sending it to the landfill. I found a box of old bills and bank statements in the attic earlier this week and burnt them all today.

July4-oak.JPG
This was pin oak from last fall. These pieces were too knotted and hard to split by hand. The wood was still very heavy. I'm glad that I can let it get good and dry before I need to burn it.

Nice pics
Good looking wood.
The gnarly oak will be premium wood, that's a picture of wood with character ;)
Umbrella was a great idea.
Splitting with a parasol. LOL :)

That was a great way to celebrate your independence!

PA Fire Bug, nice work on a hot day. I'm not sure what it is but I always like a picture with the corn in the background.

zap

What does your neighbor have for a splitter? Looks like you have a good pile of seasoned wood there too.

Looks good PA! Splitting when it is that hot outside just doesn't seem quite right, lol.

That pin oak looks like some W. Pine I've got. I call it firewood.:cool:
Doing all that in the heat requires lots of water and more patience because you should slow down a bit.
Just got a good amount of rain here, so I may burn up some branches and brush before everything gets crispy again.
Is it ok to burn current bills? ;)

What does your neighbor have for a splitter? Looks like you have a good pile of seasoned wood there too.
I think it's a Troy-Bilt. It has a Honda engine and a Lowes sticker on it. I'd like to get my own splitter eventually. I've been able to get by with only needing to borrow a splitter a couple of times.

Status
Not open for further replies.