Just added 4 feet to my stove pipe..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

charly

Had a new standing seam roof installed on my farm house.. original roof line had two levels of roof.. Made it all one roof line now...Got rid of the rubber boot as well. No screw holes for the poles.. they use screw clamps that mount everything to the standing seam..These guys have been around over 30 years.. The pans come off a roll and through a machine right on site.. My Esse is going to like that taller pipe even more now.. Plus I added 18 inches of overhang... Sliding barn door was added so my wood can sit in that porch area without getting covered by blowing snow until it's loaded into the house...

Shaul's Roofing 002.JPGShaul's Roofing 030.JPGShaul's Roofing 014.JPGShaul's Roofing 029.JPG[ATTACH108072[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• Shaul's Roofing 045.JPG
    Shaul's Roofing 045.JPG
    149.6 KB · Views: 336
That should improve draft a lot. How much pipe is above the roof now? It looks like at least 10 ft.. If so, there should be 2 roof braces, one at every 5ft.. I would also consider adding a cricket to divert snowload away from the pipe flashing.

That should improve draft a lot. How much pipe is above the roof now? It looks like at least 10 ft.. If so, there should be 2 roof braces, one at every 5ft.. I would also consider adding a cricket to divert snow load away from the pipe flashing.
I mentioned a cricket , but these guys said that putting two snow bars up will keep the snow under control.. They do lots of roofs with chimney's .. I hate to add a second set off poles , think it will look like a big cluster.... two 4 foot sections , plus a 1 ft section on top and probably 2 feet coming through the flashing .. So probably 11 ft.. What's with needing more then one set of poles, chance of the wind blowing the pipe apart or for snow against the pipe?

This is not about looks. Add a second brace, it's required by the pipe mfg.. The pipe is the last thing you want to be worrying about in a howling blizzard when the stove is cruising at 650F.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
This is not about looks. Add a second brace, it's required by the pipe mfg.. The pipe is the last thing you want to be worrying about in a howling blizzard when the stove is cruising at 650F.
I called the stove pipe supplier,, they said one support at 8 feet with my two legs at 90 inches apart at a 45 degree angle down is fine.. Manual says a support is needed on anything over 5 feet.. Not every five feet...This thing is rock solid... There's no way these standing seam people want my pipe that they put back up coming down and denting or putting a hole in my roof.... That means a complete tear off to fix... you can't just replace one panel...it gets scrapped.. Everything is roller machine crimped..

That looks great Charlie.
My sis-in-law plans to do a metal roof soon, but I don't think it'll be SS.
I added a foot to my stack last year and another 2 feet recently. Didn't help the draft, but it was 55::F at the time.:p I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed.
Roof brace coming soon.

Sounds good Charly, no problem if the mfg. approves. I was going by DuraVent's installation manual:

EXTENDED ROOF BRACKET INSTALLATION
If the chimney extends more than 5 feet above the roofline, an Extended Roof Bracket must be installed at every 5-foot increment
of chimney height above the roofline, leaving no more than 5 feet of chimney extending above the last pipe bracket.

Is this Selkirk? I just checked and see they are a bit more loose in requirements.

That roof is interesting. I have a screw down metal roof. I hadn't heard about this stuff that comes off a roll and then is crimped. I can't tell from the pic: does the sheet stock come with an angle on it for crimping? Is it soldered? Do you have a link for these guys?

That looks great Charlie.
My sis-in-law plans to do a metal roof soon, but I don't think it'll be SS.
I added a foot to my stack last year and another 2 feet recently. Didn't help the draft, but it was 55::F at the time.:p I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed.
Roof brace coming soon.
Roof is not SS, Galvalume . These guys did a metal roof about 12 years ago on a log cabin we use to have. Excellent work.. They hand make what ever needs to be made as well.. You mention Shauls around here and everyone knows their work... Nicest people you'll ever meet as well..

That roof is interesting. I have a screw down metal roof. I hadn't heard about this stuff that comes off a roll and then is crimped. I can't tell from the pic: does the sheet stock come with an angle on it for crimping? Is it soldered? Do you have a link for these guys?
It comes on rolls as flat stock... They are a rare breed as they have a machine on site so they can make panels as long as they need... The machine makes the bend on the way out.. They have a machine that has a bunch of rollers on it that crimps onto the panes and rolls the edge over.. It rides the panel seem down.. My panels were 31 feet long.. They made panels up to 114 feet long.. Panels are screwed down with clips underneath and them crimped together with the roller.. Best around here.. Tell them Charlie Wolz told you about them... They use to be backed up for one year in work.. I got them in 4 months... Money well spent... The last roof you'll ever need. Plus great for resale, especailly when they know it's a Shaul roof.

Shaul Roofing

3723 State Route 30, Middleburgh, New-York 12122, (518)827-4687

Reactions: velvetfoot
Sounds good Charly, no problem if the mfg. approves. I was going by DuraVent's installation manual:

EXTENDED ROOF BRACKET INSTALLATION
If the chimney extends more than 5 feet above the roofline, an Extended Roof Bracket must be installed at every 5-foot increment
of chimney height above the roofline, leaving no more than 5 feet of chimney extending above the last pipe bracket.

Is this Selkirk? I just checked and see they are a bit more loose in requirements.
No, it's Duravent.. I called the factory and talked to tech service... Attaching the bracket at 8 feet with 3 feet above it is fine... Plus I'm wide enough with my brackets following the natural bracket angle from the pipe clamp... That's the last thing my roof guys would want to hear that the pipe they just put up blew down and wrecked my new roof...

Here's the bottom of the machine that folds the seam to join two panels.. Uses a Milwaukee 1/2 drill power head.. They send it down from the top and a guy at the bottom turns it off..
$%28KGrHqFHJE%21FGvm0HOzNBRvUU%21TGbw%7E%7E60_57.JPG

Very cool!
Just such nice people too......They go above and beyond to give you a nice job! It's in their blood if you know what I mean.. Dick the father is old school quality work, like he's doing for himself. He was part of the farm family and helped an old timer with his own standing seam metal roof and wound up having the old timer teach him and he took over the business , the rest is history...

What flashing did they use? Hopefully not just the regular shingle roof flashing! I had to do a repair on an install like that today. It's leaked from day one.

Roof is not SS, Galvalume . These guys did a metal roof about 12 years ago on a log cabin we use to have. Excellent work.. They hand make what ever needs to be made as well.. You mention Shauls around here and everyone knows their work... Nicest people you'll ever meet as well..
Sorry, I meant standing seam.:cool:

What flashing did they use? Hopefully not just the regular shingle roof flashing! I had to do a repair on an install like that today. It's leaked from day one.
I'll find out... They do some very high end commercial projects, so I know they wouldn't cut corners, besides they live about 20 minutes away from me, all good country folk ;). I'll ask what they use...

That looks like a class job to me...very nice. Rolling from spools of sheet is just like lots of folks make rain gutters on-site. Very efficient/cost-effective. I've had both roof panels and lots of gutters made that way. It's fun to watch the rain gutters come out of the machine. They just roll out whatever length they need for each eave. Rick

Reactions: charly
Very nice. Just had this place roofed. I would have had it done in metal but sliding 16 feet to start the two story dive to the ground was just too scary to think about for me. :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.