Just got a 2015 Leaf!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mass_burner

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2013
SE Mass
Just took the plunge. Sure I'll a lot of questions. First one, will wiring a new 240 circuit out to the garage give nw significantly reduced charge times?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Reactions: gregbesia
Congratulations. Welcome to silent running.

Yes it will. The portable charger is a joke. Think a donut spare. Handy I guess if you were visiting grandma 100 miles away and staying overnight....maybe. Or to get by until your 240 is installed.

The 2015 is either a 3.3 or 6.6 kW charging at 240V. This is much better than the crappy 1.3 kW portable.

Also keep in mind that charging eff is about 80% at 120V, and 90% at 240V. So each mile of driving costs 10% less.

Did they ever upgrade the thermal management on those leaf batteries?

There's a dealer on my way home, 20 mins its at 80%. A few more details, SL, only 12k miles. I'm going to try for a used Bosch charger.

Do they make a portable backup to get you 10-20 miles? Like a phone backup.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

There's a dealer on my way home, 20 mins its at 80%. A few more details, SL, only 12k miles. I'm going to try for a used Bosch charger.

Do they make a portable backup to get you 10-20 miles? Like a phone backup.
A small, efficient generator.

No portable backup. No thermal management. But the price is RIGHT. :)

The nearby dealer fast charger is nice....in a pinch. 240V L2 is better. Leaving the house fully charged every time is better than having a (nonexistent) 200lb backup battery in the trunk.

Get a full 6.6 kW or higher unit, EVSE. Your next EV might want more juice.
Lots of USED ones on EBay, sometimes shockingly marked down (from Tesla owners that can't be bothered). I think all the brands are ok. My neighbor got a NICE 7kW Juicebox with internet logging for like $250.

OT: I am now on month 50 since I got my first EV. Just completed a week long 940 mile round trip across New England and back visiting relations, picking up kids at camp, etc in the 2017 Bolt. Honestly, I probably spent 4-5 hours total charging (and 15 hours driving) and I never minded being stopped....all the chargers were near food and I was glad for the break. Much more relaxing and less exhausting that the old yelling at the kids be back in the car in 5 mins thing.

Last edited:
Just completed a week long 940 mile round trip across New England
Impressive! Our Bolt is almost at 8000 miles. That's about $700 savings on gasoline not used plus savings on $0 maintenance cost. Our PV system remains the primary source of power for the Bolt, as it produces sufficient power to fuel the Bolt and the household needs.

I'm starting to think about adding a 2 plane tracker to our PV system to go off-grid to power the shop. Kwh usage at the shop is very low, mostly for LED lighting, with brief periods of 240V for power tools. Can use the generator if needed for extended power need requirements, and the shop also is already wired to charge the Bolt. Sunny days could become the primary Bolt charge location, freeing up available kWh at the grid-tied house to power a mini-split and greatly reduce our use of wood heat in the shoulder seasons.

Have either of your states started tacking on a road use or excise tax for being an electric vehicle? In WA state that is putting a dent in the bottom line. It's especially irritating because PHEVs are lumped in with electrics in spite of the PHEV paying the gas tax.

MN - starting in Jan 2018 all-electric will be charged a $75 annual sucharge.

"The surcharge applies to what are called “all-electric vehicles,” which are able to draw power solely from rechargeable batteries, fuel cells or other electrical currents. Plug-in hybrids that require some gasoline to run wouldn’t be subject to the fee."

That's a better fee structure. I'm not happy about being taxed twice.

Reactions: Highbeam
No portable backup. No thermal management. But the price is RIGHT. :)

The nearby dealer fast charger is nice....in a pinch. 240V L2 is better. Leaving the house fully charged every time is better than having a (nonexistent) 200lb backup battery in the trunk.
Between Hurricane Sandy, Hurricane Irene, and a few crazy winter storms between, we had three or four extended (many days, each) power outages in 2 years (this was 2011/12). We’ve had a few more since, the last one being six days, and we’re not exactly super rural here... I’m just five minutes’ drive outside a large town, and 30 minutes from the city.

So, I read the question about backup a little differently than you, or maybe than it was intended. Seems to me some EV owners may experience a little buyer’s remorse a few times per year, in these conditions, unless you had a whole-house generator system you don’t mind tapping for the load of charging the EV. We still go to work when the power is out at home.

Between Hurricane Sandy, Hurricane Irene, and a few crazy winter storms between, we had three or four extended (many days, each) power outages in 2 years (this was 2011/12). We’ve had a few more since, the last one being six days, and we’re not exactly super rural here... I’m just five minutes’ drive outside a large town, and 30 minutes from the city.

So, I read the question about backup a little differently than you, or maybe than it was intended. Seems to me some EV owners may experience a little buyer’s remorse a few times per year, in these conditions, unless you had a whole-house generator system you don’t mind tapping for the load of charging the EV. We still go to work when the power is out at home.

With a 240 mile range, the Mrs can get to work and back 6 times without charging. No buyers remorse so far.

Running the house during the outages (with the Mrs taking the gas-wagon to work and me walking to the train): Priceless.

Reactions: Ashful
A lot of electric car owners are in urban areas with infrequent and rare outages. Those in more rural areas often have a second car or truck.

My son is on the waiting list for the Tesla Model 3, and he had the opportunity to buy a used Model S. Now he is deciding whether to stay on the list for the Model 3 and sell the S when the 3 is delivered, or just keep the S. With an adapter for the J1722 plug to Tesla he can use my level 2 charger for the Bolt, Bosch 40 A, to charge the Tesla when he visits. I'm also installing a NEMA 14-50 outlet on a separate circuit so he can plug in his Tesla charger rather than using the Bosch.

My son is on the waiting list for the Tesla Model 3, and he had the opportunity to buy a used Model S. Now he is deciding whether to stay on the list for the Model 3 and sell the S when the 3 is delivered, or just keep the S. With an adapter for the J1722 plug to Tesla he can use my level 2 charger for the Bolt, Bosch 40 A, to charge the Tesla when he visits. I'm also installing a NEMA 14-50 outlet on a separate circuit so he can plug in his Tesla charger rather than using the Bosch.

How old is the Model S? Does the free super charging for life pass down to second owners on the model S?

I think it’d be mighty tough dropping from the beautiful S back to the lowly 3, and I’d take a 2-year used S over a new model 3 ten times out of ten, but not everyone appreciates a nice car.

The S is a 2016, and with my son, decision made. Keep the S, also buy the 3, probably primary car for the wife. I drove the S yesterday. A beautiful car. And free super charging passes with the car.

... and does it come equipped with twin barrels? 350 km/charge is about 220 miles maximum, respectable but not earth shaking in the current EV market. My Bolt regularly charges to 250 mile range with hilltop reserve charge capacity remaining, and about 280 miles on a full charge based on my driving habits. Bolt mileage now is approaching 9,000.