Just got a NC30 but got a 8" masonry chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Relex

Jan 24, 2015
Pa
So as the title says, I picked up a new Englander NC30 that goes to a 8" masonry chimney. Do I stand a chance of getting away with this setup for this year or am I suck taking this back for a different stove or getting a liner?

So as the title says, I picked up a new Englander NC30 that goes to a 8" masonry chimney. Do I stand a chance of getting away with this setup for this year or am I suck taking this back for a different stove or getting a liner?
It might work fine have you had your chimney inspected to make sure it is in good enough condition to run a wood stove through it? And how tall is the chimney? Does it have the required clearance to combustibles?

It might work fine have you had your chimney inspected to make sure it is in good enough condition to run a wood stove through it? And how tall is the chimney? Does it have the required clearance to combustibles?

This will be my 3rd winter in this house. Before we bought the inspector checked out the chimney sand said its good to put a wood, coal or pellet stove in it.

As far as height, I'm not exactly sure but its a split entry house with the stove to be in the basement so roughly two stories up? I should have some time tomorrow to measure to get a better idea.

Before we bought the inspector checked out the chimney sand said its good to put a wood, coal or pellet stove in it.
Was that a home inspector of a chimney sweep? From my experience you cannot trust home inspectors evaluations of chimneys. They simply do not have the equipment or experience to properly evaluate chimneys

Was that a home inspector of a chimney sweep? From my experience you cannot trust home inspectors evaluations of chimneys. They simply do not have the equipment or experience to properly evaluate chimneys

I'm not 100% sure what all he did I was at work at the time. It was a guy that the bank used all of the time and he goes over everything tooth and nail.

Home inspector sounds like. Are you installing this yourself? Up here(BC, Canada), if you self install you still need an inspection by a certified sweep to stay in good standing with insurance.

Reactions: RSNovi
I'm not 100% sure what all he did I was at work at the time. It was a guy that the bank used all of the time and he goes over everything tooth and nail.
Yeah I have seen many of those inspections. I would not trust their evaluation of the chimney if I were you. I have never seen one of them that had a camera to scan the inside of a chimney. And without doing that they have no idea what condition those liners are in.

Once you decide that your masonry chimney is fine, it probably is btw, then just follow the owner's manual for the installation requirements of the nc30 into a masonry chimney. People do it all the time.

It's a great stove.

Reactions: ckr74
You are going to want to line it anyway at some point. The question is are the clay tiles lined up well enough for a 6" insulated liner to fit easily. Is it really 8"x8" inside? Is it a straight shot all the way down?

Status
Not open for further replies.