JUST INSTALLED - AVALON

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Henz

Mar 23, 2006
Northville, NY
Well, its official. My new Avalon Rainier has been installed, along with an American Panel hearthpad. HAvent seen them yet, still at work but am anxious to check it out. A couple questions for you steel stove burners..What process did you use for starting the first fire, how many low fires did you have an when did you ahve the rager?

I had small fires for a week prior to burning hot and long term. Just start it up slowly so that your bricks have time to cure properly.

I was always told that the paint needs to cure too. is this correct?

Adirondackwoodburner said:
I was always told that the paint needs to cure too. is this correct?

Yep. Build you a small fire tonight and get ready to open the doors and windows. It's gonna smell bad around there for a bit. Both the paint and other materials will cook off some stuff with the first few fires. I do three increasingly hotter fires with a new stove and figure when the smell goes away it is good to go for regular hotter burns.

Use the break-in fires to check for air leaks around the doors, glass and liner connection while you are at it.

ok, well, we got home too late last night to light her..That is what I have head to, that it is really gonna smell bad..Cant do that with a 2year old sleeping upstairs!

It will smell for a long time if it's painted. Some smell more than others. BrotherBart is right, crack some windows and try to ignore it. Once you have a few roaring fires it will fade away.

is there any way to put pics on this site?

hope this works!

Attachments

• 100_1806.JPG
    100_1806.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 389
haha..there is a reason why I cut it off! Cant tell my secrets! nah, its jsut a small 8 pointer I got wit hthe smoke-pole a few years back..

Status
Not open for further replies.