Just ordered the Fireview . . .

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scotsman

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Aug 6, 2008
West Texas
. . . and am not happy about it, but it was the only choice, for reasons stated in detail previously. I'm convinced it's too small, but again--it was the only option. Sure hope I haven't made a mistake. It will be here about 7 January. I guess y'all can laugh now!

Well it's about time. Too small? What makes you say that? How many sq. ft. do you want to heat?

I think the Fireview is a fantastic stove and I would have loved to have one, but the side-load only was a deal breaker. The people who are having problems with their Fireview's are either not operating the stove correctly, have wet fuel, or they have a chimney problem. Those who operate the stove at the proper temp (500+) report that it puts out massive quantities of heat.

So, do a good job on the install and I am 99% confident you will be pleased with this stove.

Please keep us updated- lots of folks will want to know how well you do with the Fireview in your crazy climate and large house. I had the same rear- venting requirement issue as you and my wife wanted nothing to do with the looks of a boxy steel stove. So that eliminated the famed Blaze King. The rear vent can be corrected, the wife not so easily. Good Luck!

cycloxer said:
Well it's about time. Too small? What makes you say that? How many sq. ft. do you want to heat?

I think the Fireview is a fantastic stove and I would have loved to have one, but the side-load only was a deal breaker. The people who are having problems with their Fireview's are either not operating the stove correctly, have wet fuel, or they have a chimney problem. Those who operate the stove at the proper temp (500+) report that it puts out massive quantities of heat.

So, do a good job on the install and I am 99% confident you will be pleased with this stove.

We've got about 2000 sf on the main level. What makes me say that it's too small, is I've found that when something like this needs to be sized in industry or residential, one should plan for 75% of the unit's capability meeting the design requirement, such as A/C sizing, water heater sizing, etc. I have grossly violated that rule by buying this stove. WS states that it will heat 900-1600 and, knowing that, I bought it to try to heat 2000! Had it not been my only choice and our power going out half a dozen times in the nearly two years we've been here, I would have junked the idea altogether. None of the other manufacturers would sell to me direct or I would have had an Isle Royale, Oakwood or something else in the 3.0 range. None of their dealers were interested in talking to us once they found out we were in Lubbock area--more than 100 miles from them. If something went wrong, I'd have to take the stove to them or pay exorbitant mileage and time charges for them to come to me!

I finally decided that I'd get the FV, based on the experience and recommendations of folks on this board. Myself, I'm not convinced that it isn't too small. So, now we shall see. I sure hope it'll do the job without being pushed to 90% or more. If a unit has to operate at 85% or more for 54% of the time, it is undersized, and should be replaced with a higher capability unit. This is the opinions of several engineering friends and something that I can verify from several regulatory areas in which I work.

My wood is more than 60 years old (and dry) and I'll do my best (and my homework) on the install. Thanks for the postive vibes.

fire_man said:
Please keep us updated- lots of folks will want to know how well you do with the Fireview in your crazy climate and large house. I had the same rear- venting requirement issue as you and my wife wanted nothing to do with the looks of a boxy steel stove. So that eliminated the famed Blaze King. The rear vent can be corrected, the wife not so easily. Good Luck!

That's affirmative on rear vent being easier to correct than wife! IMHO, function takes a far back seat to form, however, my opinion isn't the only one that holds a vote. We WILL obtain the best looking one that will meet the requirements, if you get the set of my jib!

Lots of people have stoves that don't heat their whole home. Lot's of people are part time burners. I agree that your stove will have a hard time overheating your home in cold conditions without overfiring it but it will keep you comfortable and provide a large part of the required heat for your home. Just plan on a genset to run your furnace or space heaters if you really need more heat. You'll need the genset for your refers anyway.

How cold does it get where you live? For 2k you are pushing it, but it will put a nice dent in the heating. If that's all you can fit w/o major mods, I understand the choice. At least it is a good stove for its size.

Highbeam said:
Lots of people have stoves that don't heat their whole home. Lot's of people are part time burners. I agree that your stove will have a hard time overheating your home in cold conditions without overfiring it but it will keep you comfortable and provide a large part of the required heat for your home. Just plan on a genset to run your furnace or space heaters if you really need more heat. You'll need the genset for your refers anyway.

Okay, clarify what you mean by "genset". Don't want to assume anything, since you aren't speaking Texan. :)

Texas boy said:
Okay, clarify what you mean by "genset". Don't want to assume anything, since you aren't speaking Texan. :)

A generator.

A generator.

Terry, you've had good advice from a Texas plains boy himself. The stove is an area heater. Use it like that and it will do you well.

I know folks in Texas like to think really big, but last time I was there I saw lots of Hondas traversing the hundreds of miles of plains thumbing their noses at Cadillacs. Efficient is good. It's a beautiful stove that should handle the heating just fine 90% of the time. If the heat has to come on to supplement it when it's 0 and blowing 60 outside, so be it. No big deal. The other 90 days of winter it should work out great.

I know you've already pulled the trigger, but does the NC30 not have a rear vent option? Or does aesthetics rule this out?

cycloxer said:
How cold does it get where you live? For 2k you are pushing it, but it will put a nice dent in the heating. If that's all you can fit w/o major mods, I understand the choice. At least it is a good stove for its size.

Hey Olaf! The all time record low for the area is -20s (that's BELOW "0"), but usually we see consistent low temps in the low teens and high single digits, and highs in the low/mid 20 for many days in a row, but that's WITH a healthy dose of wind thrown in there for good measure. We regularly have stretches where we don't go above freezing for a couple of weeks or more. That's where the saying that "There's nothin' 'tween us and the North Pole 'cept a barb wire fence . . . an' it's down!" comes from. It isn't so much the temps we get, which can be lethal, it's the wind chills.

Actually, the 2000 sf I mentioned is only on the main floor. We have another 400 sf in the basement and then an additional 400 upstairs, which is not accessible from the main house. We will rely on the A/C fan to move some of the warm to those areas.

The FV wasn't all we could do without major mods, it was the only stove I could get with support. The dealers of the others I was considering would not support a customer so far away (over 100 miles) without me bringing the stove to them or charging mileage and time, which I could not manage.

BeGreen said:
A generator.

Terry, you've had good advice from a Texas plains boy himself. The stove is an area heater. Use it like that and it will do you well.

I know folks in Texas like to think really big, but last time I was there I saw lots of Hondas traversing the hundreds of miles of plains thumbing their noses at Cadillacs. Efficient is good. It's a beautiful stove that should handle the heating just fine 90% of the time. If the heat has to come on to supplement it when it's 0 and blowing 60 outside, so be it. No big deal. The other 90 days of winter it should work out great.

Ah, a GENERATOR! Thought so. A generator IS part of this deal, 'cause, unlike in th' city, if we don't have power, we don't have water, since we're on a well. AND this house is wired for a generator, which is very helpful. Anybody know where I can buy a good 10kw generator? :)

FYI-I own one of those Hondas you saw. I must have been driving at the time. If Lynda was driving, you would be lucky to catch a glimpse of us as we blaze by! She drives so fast that we regularly have to stop and gather up all the letters she has sucked off the signs! Efficient IS good. We subscribe to that magazine!!

I am hoping that the stove will do what's needed. 90% of the time, it will not be a survival tool, but when that 10% comes . . .!

10-4 on the advice from BB. Now if I could just get him to come lend a hand to install that insulated liner . . . since I don't have a clue how I'm gonna do it.

karri0n said:
I know you've already pulled the trigger, but does the NC30 not have a rear vent option? Or does aesthetics rule this out?

Last time I looked they didn't have a rear option. I looked at so many stoves for so long that I was seein' 'em in my sleep! If it exists here or in Europe, I've examined it. Aesthetics didn't really enter into it, well, for me anyway. Lynda? That's another matter! The FV passed her inspection, so there you have it!

Terry, I congratulated you in another thread but will do it again. Congratulations.

Be sure to keep us posted. As someone else stated, even if you have to use the furnace 2 or 3 days a year, that is not serious. I think you will be happy.

Also, on moving that air, don't forget that you do best to have a fan blowing (low speed) the cool air into the stove room.

Texas boy said:
cycloxer said:

The all time record low for the area is -20s (that's BELOW "0"), but usually we see consistent low temps in the low teens and high single digits, and highs in the low/mid 20 for many days in a row, but that's WITH a healthy dose of wind thrown in there for good measure. We regularly have stretches where we don't go above freezing for a couple of weeks or more. That's where the saying that "There's nothin' 'tween us and the North Pole 'cept a barb wire fence . . . an' it's down!" comes from. It isn't so much the temps we get, which can be lethal, it's the wind chills.

Fortunately, the coldest I've seen here is around 8 degrees, but that's cold enough thanks. You also might want to consider some insulated curtains for those cold nights.

If it got below zero outside for an extended period and I had no power, the first thing I would do would be to close off any unnecessary part of the house that didn't have plumbing in it. Next, in spite of wife's complaints I'd put up foam panels or staple bubble wrap on our copious amount of windows.

I am ashamed to admit that I've never been to Texas but yes, a genset is the combination of a generator and an engine to drive it. A generator is just the electrical side and you can certainly buy generators that can make well over 10k watts to be attached to your tractor. You do have a tractor don't you? How can you live in Texas and not own a tractor? Anyway, I prefer a much smaller genset to run the house in the event of a a power outage.

Sounds like that woodstock will be a great fit.

I wouldn't second guess myself now. You've already made the decision. It's a real nice stove. I assume your flue is properly sized and that you have some dry wood? Since you know you are going to be looking for the maximum performance out of the stove, you want to have your setup perfect so that you can extract the maximum Btu's.

Highbeam said:
I am ashamed to admit that I've never been to Texas but yes, a genset is the combination of a generator and an engine to drive it. A generator is just the electrical side and you can certainly buy generators that can make well over 10k watts to be attached to your tractor. You do have a tractor don't you? How can you live in Texas and not own a tractor? Anyway, I prefer a much smaller genset to run the house in the event of a a power outage.

Sounds like that woodstock will be a great fit.

'Course I have a tractor! Cain't live in the country in Texas without'n a tractor, for cryin' out loud! :) Never been to Texas? I thought everybody had been to Texas! Well, you should oughta git on down here as my guest! As we say, "Th' worst place in Texas is better than the best place anywhere else!" 'Course we say lots of things like that! Jist cain't hep it! :)

I was told by the electrician that I'd probably need about 10kw (starting). Since I know nothing about generators, I thought I'd rely on the expert. How does one figure out what IS needed?

I'm sure hopin' the WS will do what I need it to. Thanks for the encouragement, but I'm not convinced it's big enough yet! Be good and come see us!

cycloxer said:
I wouldn't second guess myself now. You've already made the decision. It's a real nice stove. I assume your flue is properly sized and that you have some dry wood? Since you know you are going to be looking for the maximum performance out of the stove, you want to have your setup perfect so that you can extract the maximum Btu's.

Yeah, he's got dry wood--about 600 cords of it! 60 years old! See https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/33062/ :)

fredarm said:
cycloxer said:

Yeah, he's got dry wood--about 600 cords of it! 60 years old! See https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/33062/ :)

WELLL, I might have to revise that wood figger a mite. Actually, the first batch ('A') was only 861 cords instead of 600, but it is cedar and it all IS more than 60 years old. Most is over 80, and been sittin' outside. Since then I've had two more lucky strikes. One (Batch "B") puts us up over 'bout 3100 cords and another (just last week) came in at 10 cords/week, but that might be disqualified, 'cause it's actually pallet stringers from a pallet maker. When they recycle the returned pallets, they put down a 4' X 4' pallet, put 4' sides on three sides and put another pallet on top. Then they fill up the "cube" with stringers which are all 2 x 4 or 4 X 4. I go up and they put 4 of these on my trailer (2 cords). I go back home and cut 'em with my carbide tipped blade and we have firewood!

If any of you want to make the trip, I know where there is another batch ("C"), which that I'm not even gonna talk to them about, but they have said it's available. It's only about 3750 cords and it's all 60+ year old cedar pieces that are between 16" and 28" long and 3"-5" diameter. I've been told it is free for the hauling. One thing I HAVE had luck with, is findin' wood! Y'all come on down!

Texas boy said:
Y'all come on down!

Don't tempt me. I've been growing tired of the politics up here in the evergreen state. I've threatened to move south to NM, AZ, or even TX but the wife insists on visiting first. I'm "sending" my father down to TX this summer in an RV to check things out. He's coming into the state from the NW corner. Do you guys need any professional engineers? Can I bring my guns?

omg, dude, if u have that much wood you should have a stove in every room, lol, hell, i'd have a small one in the bathroom.

60yo cedar in a Fireview is going to create a blast furnace. Did you ask Woodstock about that? ie, can you damp it down enough so it doesn't run away? I am guessing that you can as the Fireview is well designed, but I'd ask anyway.

Congrats on the new stove, if you decide it's not working for you at least you can send it back. I hope all that wood isn't treated in some way, it will be death to your cat in the stove. Cedar burns hot and fast so take it easy on the first few burns til you figure the stove out. When I burn a full load of pine in my stove I can get about 6-8 hour burn on low, that 60 year old cedar is going to burn up fast, hope you are able to load frequently.

I bet that sixty year old cotton compress yard dunnage is as hard as bricks. Bales of cotton weigh 480 pounds and that wood has had them sitting on top of it in hundred degree weather. Lots of hundred degree virtually no humidity weather and evenly distributed rainfall averaging only 18 inches a year. Talk about your compressed logs.

Status
Not open for further replies.