Keep K-1 Monitor or switch to Pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rochev

Dec 2, 2021
Maine
I have a kerosene monitor hooked up to a 500 gallon oil tank. While kerosene is a lot more expensive than pellets, it seems to last a long time. The monitor has been set to around 60 degrees all winter with outside temps varying from 0-45.

I started this season with 1/4 tank in November and it hasn't gone down much, though I'd rather have the heat set at 70.

Would it make more sense to keep the monitor or spend 1500+ on a pellet stove to go in it's place? Cost wise, not preference wise. I can't figure out what the best option is.

I would keep the monitor and add a heatpump if you don’t have one. 2000$ buys a lot of oil. Then you have to add pellet cost. I would see the monitor as a secondary heat source to the heatpump when it get really cold. Heatpump incentives are good. But they really should have a supplemental heat for days like today and tomorrow.

Just my two cents.

Reactions: Rochev
A heat pump would be great. Maybe next year I will be in a position to have one installed and use the pellet and monitor stove as a backup.

Reactions: EbS-P
Hello
I would buy a good used pellet stove from craigslist or Facebook market place! A new stove is like a new car, as soon as you drive it off the lot it becomes used and loses half of it’s value!!
I purchased all four of my stoves that way and paid the same price as 1 new one!!
Sometimes you can get free venting and floor pad with it too! 😅
Just my 2 cents. :)

Just got a working Englander stove in good shape for $165. Plus U-Haul expenses. Still a great deal. Will get the wall kit and attempt installing myself. There's already a hole through the wall for the monitor that seems to be the same size as the exhaust I need.

But we'll see how similar it really is when I'm good and ready to install.

Reactions: Don2222 and EbS-P
The Monitor replacement Toyostove can burn low sulfur heating oil.