Keeping dogs away - safely

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

webbie

Seasoned Moderator
Nov 17, 2005
Western Mass.
I'm a dog lover, but I also like taking long walks. On two out of my last 3 walks, I had large and potentially dangerous dogs run across their owners property, then across the street and "attack" me - no, they didn't touch me - because I had the good sense to not look at them and ignore them....but when a 90 lbs rotweiler is running at you full speed with teeth bared, it can be tough to ignore!

So, what is my best course of action? Should I just hope that ignoring them ALWAYS works....or should I carry some sort of spray or other type of protection......of course, I don't want their owners to come after me with a gun either - after I floor their dogs....

Any suggestions?

Try talking to the owners first .............after that doesnt work go for the pepper spray.
Remember, your in Massachusetts so you need to go and get a permit for said pepper spray.
Me, I can go buy some on the way home but I have a LTC ;)

Craig, I hate having to deal with a dog like this.......it's humiliating to have to train your vision in another direction for fear of a dog feeling threatened by your rightful stare.

I would contact the owner immediatly and explain the situation that you are concerned.

I would then explain that you think the dog should be pinned or chained because of your fears.

I would explain that even though you carry a squirt bottle full of amonia (quick delivery detergent bottle, non lethal eye irritant only)..........you still feel threatened.

This is one of my pet peaves..........dog owners who do not respect others rights and let their dogs roam all over.

Below just happened about 1 mile from my home,

http://www.thedailytimes.com/article/20071005/NEWS/71005003

Robbie

You know, problem is that I already have two targets and there are potential dozens along my walk. All it takes is once for me to get it (I'm been bit 3 times by dogs - pretty badly).

Personally, I would prefer the protection as opposed to trying to straighten out all the dog owners along the 5+ miles of roads I typically walk on.....

As to what those owners think, here is an example - a lady was recently walking a small dog down our street - followed by a larger dog. Martha was outside and the lady complained that the big dog had been following them for blocks. So martha lured the dog into our fenced yard. After tracking down the owner - a couple hours of work (dog would not let us get close to read tags) - the owner came and picked up the dog saying "yeah, he does that all the time". The dog lives 1/2 mile or more away....two days later the dog was around again. We did nothing the second time (no animal control in our township)......

I like the part about "Everett said the dogs would be quarantined and tested for rabies."
That mean examining the dogs' brains, right?

Craig, you really need to call the local police and ask what the laws are concerning a situation where a dog stalks and then jumps you........at which time you beat it to death with your newly carved oak walking stick which you should start on today........

Make sure you carry a knife too............quick opening by "thumb stud" folder attached to your pocket by a clip so you can get to it quickly just in case you go down to the ground........you want to have a surprise for him if you can't swing a stick.

I used to help train police dogs many years ago........you would be surprised how painful it is when a dog decides to bite and hold, most dogs bite and let go..........the holders are the ones that can do muscle and nerve damage.

Robbie

Man, I can just imagine myself on the ground with that "Robbie Design" rambo knife stabbing at this Rotweiler who is eating me!

The pepper and ammonia is starting to sound real good. I'm sure I can get a license....and then I could also get a collection of guns (just for fun), although I would not want to carry them on my walk.

Given the various breeds of dogs, I would assume some get even madder when you fight back - so it's got to be a "sure stopper".......I also got chased on my bike the other day....

Problem is that you usually only get one chance - in the last two cases, I did not even keep the dogs in my vision - just kept walking like they were not even there. It worked those times, but not much I could have done if old Rottie had jumped on me from the back.

Craig, I actually started to mention my design, but it is a straight knife, not a folder, and I am not sure if you could legally get by with carrying it on the street unless you could prove it was used for your work.

It would look cool though......... ;-)

I would honestly consider the amonia deal in a smaller size detergent squirt bottle. It would be small enough to carry easily and if the dog came close you could point and squeeze hard and propel enough (if hit) to make a dog run away very quickly.

Robbie

Craig get your LTC

Mace or pepperspray is your best option, it is also the most humane for the dog.

I bought my OL one of those 100,000 volt zappers off ebay a couple years back.
I would think one of those would drop any pooch right in its tracks.
Although not as distance ready as a spray bottle or pepper spray. I dunno what the laws are there, but dogs here have to be fenced or tethered, they are not aloud to run loose. How bout a pellet gun? It sure sucks having to carry anything because some owners don't do what they should do for their pets.
How bout an arsenic laced steak dropped in front of dog one night ;) The midnight uncontrolled dog enforcer :)

I'd go with the pepper spray - it's your best bet. I'm sure S'ton has a leash law, but I'm equally sure enforcement is not at the top of the list. Some people just shouldn't own dogs, especially when they are prone to leaving the yard, or chasing anything. Its pretty scary when you are out on a bike, and a dog comes charging out at you.

Oh ya, a taser would be great...they even make some that look just like a cell phone or flashlight...I had a feeling that web would want to keep it legal tho. No tasers allowed in MA.

Household item's may be easy but are not guaranteed to stop a determined attacking dog.

With a LTC mace/pepperspray is the only legal and humane way to stop a dog. Oleoresin Capsicum the ingredient in mace will dilate the capillaries in the eye and cause temporary blindness, it also causes immediate inflammation of the respiratory system.

My experience is that calling the police is such matters is usually useless......until after a bite occurs (maybe)....

Yeah, I'm going for the mace - I'll go get my permit or whatever.....and I am not going to await a bite. Any dog that comes off their own properly and starts crossing the street with teeth bared is gonna get the test......according to some who seem to know, it is the best thing for the dog also since they will soon learn that this "skunk" is not a good target (meaning any human walking down the street).

Using the taser means that the dog is already upon you! Ouch! Now if they had a "shooting" taser that was legal, that might be another story. Still, with my luck I would miss or the thing would bounce off the dog tags.....

Hah, as Mr. T used to say "I pity the fool (the first dog that encounters the "armed" web)"

Get yourself some of that pepper spray for bear encounters. That stuff will drop rover in his tracks and send him scrambling. I don't recommend the pepper spray I carry for work as its more like a squirt gun in a stream and it can be hard to hit the eyes and nose as need. You want the spray mist stuff that fans out so you won't miss. I guarantee if you douse them once old rover will avoid you ever more. The trouble with stun guns a tazers is what happens if you miss. You already are commited to the fight at that point. Better to go with the Grizzly Capstan spray. Use it just like we do. No warning, pure ambush just point and hose em good, no mercy. That way there is no getting ready for the spray or darting aside. You also have a nice stand off distance so rover can't get ahold of your arm or worse. Don't feel sorry of the dog or the owner either, they get what they are asking for. There is no reason in the world you should have to put up with dogs like that.

I do know that area pretty well, but don't know the people who have the dogs - it's been a little while since I lived down there. If all of the bites you got were before you moved where you are, then I'd really think you are probably OK on your walking route. You are not walking into any "bad" neighborhoods where you are - maybe some bad dog owners who don't keep any control over their dogs. My guess - and that's only on 5 mile route - if you had a few "cookies" in your pocket - the charging Rotty would quickly change and probably wag the stubby tail each time you walk by and come out to greet you.

The pepper spray is probably still good to have, and there's no-one gonna be shootin' at you if you have to use it (unless you are walking up Maple St., past the pavement)

The 80 lb rotweiler was up there on miller road - right past the flower farm before you hit Glendale. I have seen him before, but I think he was chained or else Electric fence. This time he charged full blast while barking - and I was on the other side of the street. I'm lucky he was not hungry. He was not in it for the chase, just protecting his property - but he obviously didn't look at the plot plan.

The ones that chase you on a bike are really dangerous also, not because they will always bite, but because you could spill off the bike, etc. - I'm not going to get too trigger happy, but an 80 lb rotweiler is not going to get a "good doggy" out of me.

Yes, my bites were mostly when young - and, strangely enough, all three were German Sheppards.

It is amazing how well it worked to not look at them and just walk on - does not work on a bike, though. But I didn't like the fact that I had no plan B.

In all likelihood - you are still probably OK, but it doesn't hurt to have a plan B. Personally, I'd me more inclined to pepper spray the owner (or more) who chains up the dog in the yard.

Like others said pepper spray will work. I bicycle extensively where I live and get chased on rural roads often. There is nothing worse than a dog that wants to chase coming dead at me while I am going 20+mph on a bike. Pepper spray since I started carrying I found I have not needed it yet ( I think they sense I am carrying it now somehow, seems crazy though). What has worked though one time was I sprayed a dog with water from my water bottle and it turned the dog around insantly.

As for calling police in my area they do nothing about dogs until you have actually been bitten. I was told though by the police that a person has every right to take what ever means to get a dog off you if it bites you. Here they said one can shoot it if need be, but I do not carry a gun on bicycle.

What has surprised me though on the bike is often they just want the fun of chasing something and me on a bicycle equals fun to them. I have gone on 35 mph sprints for up to an 1/8 mile to get away from dogs and most break away at 32 mph it always seems to me.

Pepper spray I am sure is effective but one must account for wind when using that stuff as it can drift very easily. Try a bottle of water the next time you get charged. I would not put up ever with getting bitten.

What about dog karate self defense? One swift kick to the head seems to stop most attacks . I would stare them down and challenge them

If they want a piece of me, are they willing to pay the price. Hell I find they chicken out all the time when I run right at them.

I don't know about you, but I would never turn away or look away. I want to know where they are at all times to react either in retreat of self defense.

I have stopped the bike and picked up and thrown it on them ,Almost in defiance. you want the bike, then here it is. How did that taste?

I might add my bikes are not worth too much sombody's castoffs that I fixed

I don't see how these people get away with it! Some insurance companies won't let you have a diving board, pool slide, trampoline or dangerous breeds of dogs. Many of these folks must be lying to their insurance companies. Of course, lying goes hand in hand with irresponsibility, so the dogs are left to roam and hurt others. It's well documented that these breeds have killed many children and elderly.

Report the dog for CYA purposes. If you can find out the homeowners insurance company, maybe a certified return recpt letter to them as well?

A liberal is a conservative who hasn't been mugged yet, or chased by a ferocious dog.

elkimmeg said:
I have stopped the bike and picked up and thrown it on them ,Almost in defiance. you want the bike, then here it is. How did that taste?

I might add my bikes are not worth too much sombody's castoffs that I fixed

My cheapest bike cost me over $1,600 :cheese: and now you are telling me to throw it :gulp:

Hey Elk it is American made though ;-P

Don't know if it would work on a pedal bike, and it does depend on being able to spot the "chasers" ahead of time, but there is a technique taught by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation for dealing with dogs that chase motorcycles that is very effective and seriously hurts Rover's mind...

Rover's ancestors have been chasing things for years, and have a very good "ballistic computer" that says "If I start my dash when he reaches point X, I will intercept at point Y" - the trick is to mess up the program... When you spot a "chaser" SLOW DOWN 3-5mph - not a huge amount, just a little, then keep a steady speed. Once he starts to make the dash, speed back up, again only by 3-5 mph, and no need for hard accelleration. The trick here is that once Rover starts the dash, he has a hard time recomputing, so he gets to "Point Y" and you aren't there... This SERIOUSLY hurts his mind as it shakes one of the basic rules of doggy existence. Watching in the rear-view I've seen them just stop dead in the middle of the street and try to figure out what happenned - the expression on their face and the body language is hysterical.

There is a tale told about one of the first MSF training films where they demoed this - they had a problem doing it with "native" dogs, as they either couldn't get the dog to go at the right time to catch it in one take, or the local dogs had figured out that you couldn't catch those things so there was no fun in chasing them. They called an attack dog service, the owner said no problem, but make sure the guy was on a fast bike cause if the dog caught him the rider was dead meat... Dog was so frustrated when he couldn't get the bike he went for the cameraman instead....

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.