Kenmore fridge icemaker problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrKLeen

Sep 15, 2008
So. NH
It likes to stop making ice. The little arm seems to stick, if i tap it, it will start making ice again. If there are any appliance techs out there any advice would be appreciated.

If you are into tinkering with stuff like that, go to the Sears website and look for ice makers. You can put in the model # of your fridge and it will pull up the unit you need. There will also be a parts list.
You'll notice that some of the parts are 2/3 the cost of a new unit. I opted for a new unit as I didn't want to fool with it.

Replacement time. Do you have a water softener? If so, take the ice maker out and look at the mold the cubes are formed in. I bet the teflon is gone. Thats what burns the motors and gears out when the stripper cant get the cubes out.

Alrighty, i guess that makes sense, I do have a water softener, but it was doing this before I had it. But probably needs to be replaced none the less. Thanks for the help.

There are a multitude of independent appliance repair sites out there, I like Appliance411.com/ or The Samurai Appliance Repair Guy, and there are others as well... They offer various levels of diagnostic and repair advice for all sorts of major appliances, mostly free (They make their money off selling the parts to fix stuff).

No opinion on the advice you've already gotten, and no personal suggestions, but I'd take a look at their pages as well just in case it's something easy like a stuck switch or something.

Gooserider

The icemaker in my kenmore goes on the blink when the water filter cartridge needs to be replaced.

We actual use it as the indicator that we need to swap it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.