Kent tile fire worth saving

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Drabe95

Oct 30, 2017
CNY
I recently bought an old farm house with a Kent tile fire in the basement. I've been so busy that moving and settling into my home it is now chilly and time for some heat. I was inspecting and cleaning the stove and found a cracked and deformed top plate in the firebox. I can weld and have a welder friend who has a welder. Is this worth saving by straightening and welding? Or do I need a new stove. The warped plate obviously hinders proper operation of the damper.

Attachments

• IMG_2671.JPG
    IMG_2671.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_2672.JPG
    IMG_2672.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 193
Yes, that baffle is in rough shape. It wouldn't hurt to try and fix. If no luck, it's probably time to replace the old stove.

My experience fixing that exact example of damage was not successful. That metal is likely going to keep failing beyond your weld job. It's been heat treated/tempered I suppose so many times. Maybe if you remove enough or span it with a plate. Good luck.

I think I'm going replace it. I may try to repair it and move the tile fire to my barn work shop where it will be seldom used. Now what to replace it with

PERSONALLY I would keep it and try to get it fixed best you can. KENTS are THE BEST in my opinion for warming a house without blasting you. It can be controlled well and if I could find one would take it in a minute.

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink