Kettle Stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Qvist

Burning Hunk
Mar 5, 2019
Eastern Panhandle WV
Is anyone using or interested in kettle stoves? They were the first woodstoves I ever used and got me started on them... Ive liked them ever since, even though I dont own one and they are not for heating. I've just never seen a post about one.

Screenshot_20221022-212555_Chrome.jpg

Looks like the wood or coal equivalent of my propane crab pot cooker, but more stout.

20 gallons is a BIG pot. Better call the neighbors in for that feast.

They were used to boil water for cleaning or to make lard scrapple etc. It was often my job to stir the kettles and keep the fires going. It was a hot job being so close to 3 of those stoves. Some call them agricultural boilers. Some were detailed.

Screenshot_20221023-091218_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
They were used to boil water for cleaning or to make lard scrapple etc. It was often my job to stir the kettles and keep the fires going. It was a hot job being so close to 3 of those stoves. Some call them agricultural boilers. Some were detailed.

View attachment 301220
Moo, is that for making hot milk?

It was made to prepare feed for cattle most likely, or at least marketed as such. Past reading indicated that in the early 1800s farmers believed that cooking feed made it more nutritious for cattle. Apparently part of this belief stemmed from the observation that boiled food was heavier.... due to water. The cattle stove type, with the box stove on the bottom and the bowl on top was actually a patented innovation from 1840.(Jordan Mott). Copies of his design were made into the 1900s. It was lighter so the stoves could be moved, and it was more effective at boiling water because the fire was able to be in contact with more of the kettle bottom. Some of them had other livestock on the side too.http://stovehistory.blogspot.com/2014/01/jordan-motts-great-hog-boiling-success.html