Kids and Stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Pertzbro

Feeling the Heat
Aug 2, 2016
NW Iowa
What is the best way to keep young kids away from the stove? I have an insert which i think helps, but my 18month old worries me. I was thinking about using our dog corral like below but didnt know if I was missing anything?

1569445972045.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never worried about it.

Reactions: Dix
Our boys were taught - Ow-ee and Hot early on. Never had an issue. They liked the stove but never got burned. The worst thing that happened as they grew up was my younger son was warming his bum in front of the stove and singed his pajamas from standing there too long. Our cat has singed his tail more frequently. He loves the stove.

Reactions: brenndatomu
One of their first words will be "hot" if you have a stove or insert. No issues beyond perhaps a single burn on their index finger. I have 3 young children with a 4th on the way.

Reactions: MrWhoopee
I grew up around a stove I never got burned as a kid and neither did either sister. Neither of my kids have either. It is hot enough they feel the heat long before they touch it.

Christmas morning about 42 years ago. The two year old was excited and took off running to show off her new doll. She tripped and was heading face first into the Earthstove. I was getting dressed and pantless dove between her and the stove. I left two hambuger patty sized chunks of my butt seared onto the stove.

She knew the stove was hot, but excited kids do not always think before doing something.

Mine are both tucked back into fireplaces, so really only exposed on the front. My wife was terrified of the kids touching one when we moved in, as she didn’t grow up with a stove, but I was convinced it wouldn’t be an issue.

Our oldest was 24 months when we had our first fire in the stoves, and that was old enough to already get the concept of “too hot”. We wouldn’t let him rough house near the stove, and he being a less rambunctious kid, it was never an issue for us. The second kid came along a few years later, and likewise, no issues.

If my stoves were out in the open, or in a tight family room, or if my kids were more rambunctious, I’d consider installing a gate around them. But not having one with two stoves and two kids all in one house has never been an issue for us.

A gate/fence might invite attention and create a reason for a child to investigate. Don't make a big deal about it and likely nothing will happen. Usually, others might have a different experience than mine, kids tend to want to get into stuff when you tell them not to. Saying nothing goes a lot further.

I never worried about my kids when they were young. As said above, they learn quick. Now on the other hand......drunk teenagers is another story.....

My brother, who is a machinist, fabricated a beautiful fence/gate (round stock) around his Jotul 8 when twins were born. Thick and wide round steel stock anchored and acted as a counterweight for gate and fence.
He later confided that they never really needed it as his three girls, and cats knew not to touch (hot !!).
The fence/gate still looks nice; however, soon after the build it was relegated to drying towels.
Through the years the twins grew adept at feeding the fire when dad wasn't home yet (feed the stove or the house got cold). Now out of college and half a world away, without missing a beat they used their wood burning skills to keep wood stove going while staying in farm outbuilding heated only by wood.

Our boys were taught - Ow-ee and Hot early on. Never had an issue. They liked the stove but never got burned.
This...we held their little hands up close enough that they could feel the heat and said hot, ouchy, don't touch.
We do have a simple fireplace screen in front of the fireplace stove just to stop falls, and toys from hitting the stove accidently since the LR is kinda tight quarters

This...we held their little hands up close enough that they could feel the heat and said hot, ouchy, don't touch.
We do have a simple fireplace screen in front of the fireplace stove just to stop falls, and toys from hitting the stove accidently since the LR is kinda tight quarters
Something worth mentioning... make sure they know to come get you if a toy or ball ever rolls under the stove. My son was great with this, but we always worried more about my daughter trying to retrieve something on her own. You don't want the toy left there, it could melt and make a mess, and you don't want a kid going after it.

Our now 2 y/o granddaughter (gratuitous picture attached)
the_little_waif[1].jpeg
tripped and placed her hand on the stove last Christmas. It wasn't very hot, but it did blister a couple of fingers. She clearly understands the meaning of "HOT" now and gives the stove a wide berth even in summer.

Every generation of our family have grown up around wood heat and we had never gone near the stove as kids,
and my kids always avoided the stoves when they got hot, and now so do the grand kids, it seems to be natural
that kids know to avoid that much heat, but I can understand that people who have not had wood heat before
or when they themselves where young, would be worried about kids around the stove

@Pertzbro Have you looked into old threads? There have been past discussion and illustration of gates used in front of the stove. If you search in Google on wood stove gates you should see a lot of images that show a variety of solutions.

My kids don’t go near it. Our rule is “bricks are off limits” basically, no standing on the hearth. Ours is pretty large so it gives ample space. Even the kids who come over seem to head the rules without much issue. Although that doesn’t stop them from planting themselves on the floor just in front of it. It’s like a tv for them.

Toddlers might be different. I’ve heard some horror stories and I’ve met some babies that had to learn the hard way unfortunately. Getting a skin grafts every year because you’re growing but your scar tissue isn’t is no fun. With little little kids, get a gate!

My kids don’t go near it. Our rule is “bricks are off limits” basically, no standing on the hearth. Ours is pretty large so it gives ample space. Even the kids who come over seem to head the rules without much issue. Although that doesn’t stop them from planting themselves on the floor just in front of it. It’s like a tv for them.
Same rule here. No playing on the stone hearth extension. No touching the stone hearth extension. No sitting on the stone hearth extension, without mom or dad.

when we moved to our current house i put up a hearth gate. i read all about kids naturally avoiding a hot stove but i also knew kids tend to be foolish thinkers and prone to errors and mistakes. my youngest son has touched his share of hot pans, curling irons etc. and both my boys like their rougher play. the last thing i need is for a kid to trip and burn themselves on a stove. rather be safe than sorry on most things in life. to each his own. this is what i have. Amazon product ASIN B00ALOT5AG

We have this fence with a gate. Great for drying wet clothes, and prevents a life-changing accident. I've seen too many toddlers and drunks with full-thickness burns to risk my 3-year old (or his little friends). He loves to run, and I don't like to yell. Metal just conducts heat so quickly, and holds so much thermal energy, that full-thickness burns are almost instantaneous.

1569565023532.png

Reactions: myth83
The only time, as an adult, I've burned myself is when I get stove kisses on my forearms while loading.

As a kid I was never burnt. However, my parents used to heat my PJs on it. This was before fire retardant sleep wear for kids. I remember dime sized melted spots on them, as well as the occasional really hot spots while putting them on.

Come to think of it, I remember freezing while putting them on. The house must have been cold.
I wonder what the temp of that room was.

I have a 10 month old. I bought a black fence with a gate like Ben posted. Going to use it this winter as he is so young. Search craigslist and facebook market place for deals.

What is the best way to keep young kids away from the stove? I have an insert which i think helps, but my 18month old worries me. I was thinking about using our dog corral like below but didnt know if I was missing anything?
We always taught the kids "Hot,
stay away, do not touch, DANGER!"
And of course close supervision.
Never had one of our kids get burned.