Wood stove safety gate???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 21, 2007
Chelmsford, Ma
Just wondering if anyone knows of a good safety gate to put around a wood stove. We have a 4 yr and 2yr old and want to keep them away . Links or pics would be great!

We have a 3 month old and I have been thinking about the same thing. Definitely interested in what people think.

Kids are smart and the body's reaction to too much heat is pretty much hard-wired for self-preservation. Teach them about the stove! and that NO means NO! If our cats and our dogs can figure it out your kids sure as hell should be able to.

Plenty of my friends have kids and they all have woodstoves. Not one of those families has had a a problem with kids/pets and their stoves. I think the danger is greately overstated, frankly. Knowledge is power, baby!

We purchased a fireplace gate for our stove from a company called Kidco www.kidco.com. The quality is excellent. To open the handle needs to be squeezed from above. Kids just can't do it. Each section can be angled to fit. Additional sections can be added to the gate as needed for length. It's not cheap mind you, but we got ours with the 20% off coupon that Buy Buy Baby and other baby stores offer. There are two models, one in black which is the Hearthgate G70 and one in white called ConfigureGate G80.

Toys R Us has KIDCO gates for about $189...
I don't know if you'll find them cheaper anywhere else...
Like Sue said, they come in different colors & they also come with hardware...
that'll allow to firmly attach them to the walls behind your stove...

Walmart has them. We had 2 one for the front and one for the back. stove was in middle of room. By the time they 4 years old they should know enough to stay away from it. The only reason we still use them are to drape ski pants, and jackets on to dry over night. Or else I would ship them to you!

My wife used to watch a toddler and even he knew at 2 and half years while I would load the stove in the morning "hot?"

We got our kidco off the wonderfull ebay new for $110 with shipping, our little ones stay away but sometimes a ball or other toy finds its way next to it, and being kids they have no thought process when they see a toy, exept to get it. Thats way we got one, they stay away but with a hot stove i'm not taking that chance. JD

Hello...I agree with one of the other posters...teach your children about hot stoves...they learn real quick...at least mine did. Save your gate money and buy a pizza night out or two...:) Franklin

We put up this gate this summer as we have a new baby now. We picked it up off CL for about $100 which was quite a good deal as it was in excellent shape. I recommend checking the listings there before buying new as I have noticed since then that there are often listings for gates. There only seems to be one game in town for these gates. You asked for pictures so here you go:

Attachments

• CIMG2300-1.JPG
    CIMG2300-1.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 11,588
  • CIMG2301.JPG
    CIMG2301.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 24,402
Slow1 said:
We put up this gate this summer as we have a new baby now. We picked it up off CL for about $100 which was quite a good deal as it was in excellent shape. I recommend checking the listings there before buying new as I have noticed since then that there are often listings for gates. There only seems to be one game in town for these gates. You asked for pictures so here you go:

What kind of gate is that? I know you said you found it on CL but was that homemade or able to be purchased? That is exactly what I am looking for..something with brackets that I can nail/hook/unhook from the wall but still looks decent...

When you put a gate around it then your create forbidden fruit. At first we were worried with our toddlers just learning to walk but other wood burning friends convinced us that advising caution was the best way to proceed and they were right.

That doesn't answer my question...

True, I can completely agree kids have basic instincts that they will learn and not touch something that is hot more than once, but it is the PREVENTABLE ACCIDENTS that you should be worried about. Maybe if my stove was not in the only main room in my house I'd think twice but it is where everyone gathers, plays etc...

I work in the ER, do you want me to name how many times kids were just goofing off, or just plain clumsy and not paying attention and stumbled into a campfire or woodstove for that matter? It is rare, but does happen and leaves nasty nasty burns and is easily preventable - I wish I had photos for your ignorance...of course you can't capture in a photo all the pain and slow healing ad suffering of severe burns.

Fireplaces are a little different, they are more enclosed to begin. Even open campfires - because you should be watching your kid. But at my house? I am not going to be vigilant enough to watch my kids on a stove sitting in the middle of my living room in my small house. I'm going to let my kids surf, snowboard, ride dirtibkes etc but they will wear helmets and basic protective gear, its just basic preventive measures that are statistically proven. Heck, I'll even teach my kid basic gun respect when the time comes.

So that looks like a Kidco gate after some more research for those who care...

savageactor7 said:
When you put a gate around it then your create forbidden fruit. At first we were worried with our toddlers just learning to walk but other wood burning friends convinced us that advising caution was the best way to proceed and they were right.

or they can learn the way we learned in the 70s. "dad i fell next to the stove and burned my hand" oh ya" don't play near the dam stove stupid get out of the way barney miller is on" funny never happen again... trus story.

I had to buy extensions for my Kidco gate to get it to cover my hearth, but with shipping it was close to $200.00.

I bought the gate from this person:
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-KidCo-Firep...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item45efde82d9

and my extension from this person:
http://cgi.ebay.com/KIDCO-HEARTH-GA...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item33565125ff

I love it, I feel a lot more at ease with my 20 month old running around it, and when we have company I do not have to worry about their kids touching it either.

Only downside is kids love to toss toys over it :(

Thinking about using it for time out during the summer ;)

It's different for every circumstance.

I don't have a baby gate around the stove and I hope and pray that I never get regret that. However, for us, my wife and I are able to speak swiftly and our son stands at attention. Some people can't make that happen even with the best intentions. We both work with kids and have a pretty good way w/ getting our point across. His first words were "What's that" immediately followed by "hot" He was enamored with the stove and had good respect for it right from the get-go.

For us, in our circumstance, we are both comfortable with our setup. However, others might not be. In my mind, a wood stove is meant to be enjoyed. If you will enjoy yours more with a gate around it then I hope you put it up. If not, then that's a fine decision as well.

Having an argument like this would be about the same as having one regarding "spanking"

pen

I have four kids ages 3-11. Have had a woodburner since the first was born. We have never had a gate and never had any problems. I would consider one, however, if I thought the stove was within their play area and someone might crash into it. We put padding around some of the sharp stone edges on our elevated hearth so the kids wouldn't crack their head on it. Going near the stove out of curiosity was never an issue though.

argus66 said:
or they can learn the way we learned in the 70s. "dad i fell next to the stove and burned my hand" oh ya" don't play near the dam stove stupid get out of the way barney miller is on" funny never happen again... trus story.

Sounds sooo familiar! I was young and "helping" to load my Grandmothers' wood oven
The top loading plate had two different sized loading rings, I lifted the smaller inner one out,
and put it on the oven, then the second outer ring. Added a couple of splits in it, but must have
knocked the smaller cover off the oven, or something. All I remember is that I picked up the
small cover, bare handed, and made it to top of the stove.

Needless to say, lesson learned! Cast Iron holds heat VERY well...
After a couple of weeks, I don't think it hurt as much :)

2x4s for the top and bottom rails, 2x2s for the verticals. total cost to build should be under 20 bucks. Stain it to match your other furniture or woodwork, or mantel (gel stain works pretty well when trying to match pine to nicer woods).

my son used to call it the "pow-pow" (due to the popping noise wood would make at campfires). The 16 month old just calls it the "Hot-hot"---> both know to stay away and have never been burnt. Then again, I have a seatbelt in my car that I wear all the time even though I don't intend to get into a car accident....

snosurfa7 said:
Slow1 said:

What kind of gate is that? I know you said you found it on CL but was that homemade or able to be purchased? That is exactly what I am looking for..something with brackets that I can nail/hook/unhook from the wall but still looks decent...

That's the KidCo gate. Every time I looked around it seemed I kept finding the same product when it came to a gate to go around a hearth area.

Check your nearby craigslist listings - I really have been surprised as I have found two other listings for this gate as well. Or just buy the ones folks pointed to on eBay etc. We still like it now that it is in use.

To the folks that say "just train your kids to stay away" I would have agreed with you last year. However near the end of the season we had a friend come with her toddler who was not used to being around a stove. Can't train a toddler, especially a guest, that fast without them getting hurt. After a very near disaster as he went for the thermometer on top of the stove we ended up having to simply not burn when he was visiting out of fear of his getting away from the grip of an adult. Thus the secondary argument for the gate - it certainly won't stop a determined toddler by any means, but it will buy us a few moments to catch up and grab the bugger.

Hey, my kids are as bright (okay, often brighter) than the next guys. At 7, 5, and 2 1/2 they have all known for some time that you don't walk up and touch the stove. It's a no brainer. Kids are kids, though. They trip, they fall, they wrestle, run after toys, and generally act like mindless boobs on occasion. You need some sort of a barrier for exactly those reasons.

My son is 15 months old, he notices the fire and eyes get real big, we tell him hot!! and he kinda just looks at it. other than that he pretty much stays away from it. he's more interested in climbing the steps when he's down in the basement with me watching tv. Mom and Dad never had a gate around their insert, i can remember i touched it one time and that was the last time i did. so i knew to stay away. I hope that don't happen to him. I don't think i have to worry

Status
Not open for further replies.