Kids and wood and stoves, etc.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

webbie

Seasoned Moderator
Nov 17, 2005
Western Mass.
I'm going through the new pictures to put on the gallery and these two jumped out at me. Funny....

I used to like dogs and cats by the stove, but I think kids might be the new Hearth models.

Attachments

• childandlog.jpg
    childandlog.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 644
  • JacobFirewood2.jpg
    JacobFirewood2.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 667
Webmaster said:
I'm going through the new pictures to put on the gallery and these two jumped out at me. Funny....

I used to like dogs and cats by the stove, but I think kids might be the new Hearth models.

Great pics! You have a nice family.. The pic with the boy holding the firewood made me chuckle I think that wood weighs as much as he does! When I started burning wood 20 years ago (had a 2 and 4 yr. old at the time) I worried about my kids touching or falling into the hot stove so I made a fence around the hearth with 2x4's and made the ballusters from closet pole wood.. Worked great and none of my 5 kids ever got burned...

Ray

We raised 4 kids with a wood stove thankfully only 1 very minor burn.

A week old, and he already loves the stove:
DSC_0110_514x768.jpg

And at 9 weeks, there's nothing better than some (not-so) quiet time in front of the fire:

As a child I don't ever remember having anything other than a wood stove for heating and even for cooking in the winter. There were 4 of us kids and I do not ever remember any of us getting burned on the stove except for an occasional touch when putting wood in. I just did not happen. Maybe that is because the old steel stoves were so hot you didn't want to get very close.

Hi, Raised two kids who are now 26 and 23 and, fortunatly never had an accident. They never got close enough to take pictures. Now they stay away from the stove because it means work. The cat poses with the stove all stretched out in front. As the cat gets closer, I know when it's time for a refill.

Jim

I think kids and stoves go well together, with supervision. The wood cutting aspect is a great thing to keep'em outta trouble, too...............

I remember like it was yesterday that when I was a young kid growing up in the 1950's, my grandmother cooked in/on a wood stove in the big kitchen of their home on top of a hill in Hayward, California. When I stayed with them, it was always my job to get that fire going early every morning to take the chill off the house and get the stove ready for Grandma's breakfast magic. Don't remember ever getting burned by that stove. At home, on the other hand, we had a gas furnace in the basement, and a big grill in the floor near the wall between living & dining rooms where the hot air entered the house (Only one I've ever seen like that). I distinctly (painfully) remember, at about age 5, tripping and breaking my fall instinctively with both hands squarely on that grill...2nd degree burns to all fingertips...YOUCH! Whatever you do, don't mount your woodstove in the floor. Rick

WoodMann said:
I think kids and stoves go well together, with supervision. The wood cutting aspect is a great thing to keep'em outta trouble, too...............

I don't know that it succeeded in keeping me out of trouble, but now that it is enough years behind us, I am still trying to get out of dad his secret as to how he knew when to wake me up the earliest for the fullest days of cutting/splitting/hauling/unloading/stacking wood on the mornings after some of my biggest partying nights in high school. Talking about sweating it out of ya...whew, I can still taste those burps and feel that cold sweat. But truth be told, I was feeling better and had already done a day's work before most of the gang I had been out with the night before would be out of bed.

And I too remember the best fried trout, squirrel and raisin cookies cooked on/in a wood stove by my great-grandmother in the early 70's. Big part of the reason when people ask why I "fool with a wood stove" that I can honestly say that it is all I have ever known.

Webmaster - your "real" family looks great too! I'm sure you are proud - are you a grandpa yet?

jbrown56 said:
The cat poses with the stove all stretched out in front. As the cat gets closer, I know when it's time for a refill.

Jim

Heh! Mine too. When I look in and see the cats piled on the couch, I know the stove is really cooking! Lounging on the stone, time to reload.

Those 1st set of photo look to have somre danger in them.

One child partially raised (so far), two comfy adults and the only burns are on the guys arm who loads it. The stove is a top loader and the tool uses a welding glove that's an inch to short :blank:

A wood burning buddy of mine did have a slight child burn (hand, no biggie, quick learner) and TWO stupid cat burns ($400+ worth). The damn cat jumped on top of his stove TWICE. The first time i felt kinda bad for the cat....the second time I think some sort of darwinism was in effect.

BotetourtSteve said:
Webmaster - your "real" family looks great too! I'm sure you are proud - are you a grandpa yet?

I'm not ashamed to say that being a grandparent has never been in my top 10 of things that I want to be! Maybe it is because I married young and made my parent grannies before they were 42!

My son, who is 10 and 12 years younger than the girls, assures me that he will be the first to carry on the family name.....or even the family DNA for that matter! And I think that will be the case.....

Here is my grandchild in her Easter dress. Toilet trained and all....

Attachments

• rosie.jpg
    rosie.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 276
WoodButcher Jr.
He turned 3 in December and loves to haul wood in his F-150

Attachments

• woodbutcher_wood_hauler.jpg
    woodbutcher_wood_hauler.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 240
  • wb_jr_02.jpg
    wb_jr_02.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 239
That's funny, WB....with the cart. The other one I put in the gallery update....and, of course, the cheesecake shot showing for certain that wood cutting would be a good subject for Playgirl sometime in the future....

Attachments

• woodbutcher_website_02.jpg
    woodbutcher_website_02.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 227
WOODBUTCHER said:
WoodButcher Jr.
He turned 3 in December and loves to haul wood in his F-150

Haha great pics! Love the pic of your son hauling wood in his F-150!!

Ray

Webmaster said:
That's funny, WB....with the cart. The other one I put in the gallery update....and, of course, the cheesecake shot showing for certain that wood cutting would be a good subject for Playgirl sometime in the future....

Get paid to cut up wood and be on a calender, not a bad idea.......Man.....we were all so tired at the end of the day in that picture. Thats me on the far right and my brother-in-law "Flashman"is in the front with the white t-shirt. You have a good collection of photos going on in the gallery. There is 3 of us burning wood in the family now and we've talked our father-in-law into getting rid of his"Better than Bens" It eats through wood. He could'nt believe how efficiant our F500/F600's are on wood compared to his.

WoodButcher

Hey, my boy is famous... Sort of. The second pic (in the first post) is my son Jacob helping daddy load the wood into our insert. Both of my sons, who will be 2 and 4 this summer, love to help. The four year old has his own set of smaller work gloves and helps fill the rubbermaid wood holder when I bring it in the house. The younger one just picks it up with his bare hands. He then enjoys pushing the rubbermaid I use for hauling the wood in from the pile back to the backdoor. I think the picture was taken just after he'd gotten up in the morning because he's still got his footie pajamas on.

I'm glad you all enjoyed the picture and I'm proud to share it with the hearth.com gallery, Craig.

As for the safety issue, I'm a big fan of not being overly protective of my kids. He's shown he can carry wood that large so I'm not going to tell him he can't just on the chance it might drop once. Besides he's usually quick enough to get out of the way when his older brother tries to whack him with a toy so he's learning quickly. :)

Eric

(Proud father of two future wood-burners)

Status
Not open for further replies.