Killed by falling branch.........

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodchip

Minister of Fire
Dec 6, 2010
Broadstone England
Sadly, after her school was closed for a day by a strike, a young girl went into a park and sat on a bench under a tree with some friends.
A branch fell off, and struck her. Despite a nearby doctor rushing to the scene, she died later in hospital.
I feel really sorry for the family, as in so many things, it really is down to chance, being in the wrong place at a particular time.
I suspect the council will be checking all the trees in the local parks, but from what I see, there was no prior warning of anything amiss:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-13987822

A few years back a local guy that managed the local video rental store was driving home, a tstorm blew in and the wind knocked a big branch off a tree and it landed right on his windshield and killed him , this happened as he was driving. Talk about being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I guess when your number comes up its up.

You hear about things like that all the time. A few years ago a guy was driving down a local heavily treed highway and a tree fell and killed him just as he was driving by. The tree had probably been there for 50 years so what are the chances of driving by at the split second it falls. Amazing. I had many trees and tops come down on my property last winter from snow. Some of the branches buried themselves into the ground 3-4 feet with 3 feet of snow on the ground. That showed me the power and impact of tree tops and branches and gives me a healthy respect when I'm out cutting.

A friend's dad was just killed by a falling tree. He was driving home at night, tree just fell over and hit his car while he was driving. Freak accident. Very sad.

Wow. Really sad.

I had a power pole fall on my truck one time....and I was driving down the road at the time. However, we were experiencing very high wind at the time and I really should not have been out on the road.

Hmm, I think we now need to outlaw trees - at least the ones with branches - and obviously park benches are a safety hazard to all citizens and should be banned.

While we're at it, we might want to outlaw parks all together, clearly they are hazardous to our health.

j/k ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.