Killed my 346... Again...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SpaceBus

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2018
Downeast Maine
Last year I got tired of my Husqvarna 460 and picked up a used 346xp. It ran for a out two tanks and then took a dump on me. I figured this was a good time to get it built into a hot rod saw, so I did. Today it died on me again, not even a whole tank run through it. Now I think the carb is dead, but it probably needs a new hone, rings, and maybe a piston. I'm pretty pissed, but not in the budget to do anything about it now. I guess I'll save up for a 550xp auto tune and then I won't have to worry about it.

Last year I got tired of my Husqvarna 460 and picked up a used 346xp. It ran for a out two tanks and then took a dump on me. I figured this was a good time to get it built into a hot rod saw, so I did. Today it died on me again, not even a whole tank run through it. Now I think the carb is dead, but it probably needs a new hone, rings, and maybe a piston. I'm pretty pissed, but not in the budget to do anything about it now. I guess I'll save up for a 550xp auto tune and then I won't have to worry about it.
I can't like that @SpaceBus , do you still have the 460?

Reactions: SpaceBus
Fixing it yourself will get you up and running for cheep.
First thing you need to do is find out why it scored.
Preasure and vacuum test befor you take it apart

I do have a cylinder pressure tester sitting in my toolbox, so I can do that first. What's the procedure for checking vacuum? I sent the builder a message so I'll get to diagnosing things tomorrow. Today was just a bit frustrating, especially with not even running a full tank of fuel yet.

@thewoodlands I do still have the 460, so I will be sharpening some chains tomorrow.

Reactions: thewoodlands
I love my 346XP NE. Scott Kunz ported it. He put finger ports in the cylinders and a bigger Walbro 199 carb from a 359. I got rid of the Chinese Zama carb and all the primer bulb crap the original Zama carb had. The saw looks like the old 346 with the primer bulb gone. The carb and filter assembly barely fit under the cover....but they do. I just ran my mostly stock Husky 350 (ported muffler only) the other day after running my 346XP and I could not believe the difference. I hit dirt with my 346 and didn't want to sharpen it, so I grabbed the 350 to finish up. Hard to believe they both are 50cc saws. LOL

I love my 346XP NE. Scott Kunz ported it. He put finger ports in the cylinders and a bigger Walbro 199 carb from a 359. I got rid of the Chinese Zama carb and all the primer bulb crap the original Zama carb had. The saw looks like the old 346 with the primer bulb gone. The carb and filter assembly barely fit under the cover....but they do. I just ran my mostly stock Husky 350 (ported muffler only) the other day after running my 346XP and I could not believe the difference. I hit dirt with my 346 and didn't want to sharpen it, so I grabbed the 350 to finish up. Hard to believe they both are 50cc saws. LOL
My 460 feels and cuts like a boat anchor compared to my ported 346xp (old version). Hopefully it's nothing serious. I noticed my carb screws were kind of weird, but working, when I tuned the saw. I'm thinking the carb went out of tune and I tortured the cylinder. My builder responded to me pretty quick so we shall see.

Reactions: JimBear
oh, I'd imagine it does! The Rancher type of saws are under-powered and pigs compared to the XP saws.

Here's my 346 not long after I got it back for being ported and the Walbro 199 carb installed.

IMG_6263.JPGIMG_6266.JPGIMG_6268.JPG

Last edited:
Space Bus. Was the shop local to you? I have a 141 with maybe 2 tanks thru it. I’d love to hot it up some. I’m not touching my XP saws but this little guy was a gift so I got nothing in it.

Space Bus. Was the shop local to you? I have a 141 with maybe 2 tanks thru it. I’d love to hot it up some. I’m not touching my XP saws but this little guy was a gift so I got nothing in it.
Nah, I shipped it to a guy. I've heard there are local shops here in Maine, but not being a local makes it impossible to find them.

Last year I put my 10 year old, well used and well loved 455 Rancher out to pasture and replaced it with a 550XP. Best upgrade ever, at least from the POV of someone who's never run a hopped-up saw. :)

I also bought a 562XP for the bigger stuff, but I still enjoy the 550XP much more, and use it 98% of the time.

:( the saw is done. I pulled the muffler and I can see loads of scoring on the piston. Definitely not the builder's fault. Either I tuned it poorly or something is wrong with the carb and it didn't hold the tune. The saw ran great right up until it didn't run at all. I'm pretty salty. When funds allow I'll get a 40-50cc pro saw with auto tune.

Does anyone know if Husqvarna intends to offer an auto tune 543xp? It seems to be the only pro saw without auto tune.

:( the saw is done. I pulled the muffler and I can see loads of scoring on the piston. Definitely not the builder's fault. Either I tuned it poorly or something is wrong with the carb and it didn't hold the tune. The saw ran great right up until it didn't run at all. I'm pretty salty. When funds allow I'll get a 40-50cc pro saw with auto tune.

Sorry to here about your saw Spacebus. Don’t limit yourself to carb adjustments as the cause. I had a decomp valve go bad on my Stihl 440 fortunately the cylinder was able to be cleaned up & it just required a new piston. Impulse lines leaking sometimes can be the cause of them going lean also. None of these things change the fact that your saw crapped out & that’s a huge bummer but if it’s something other than the carb it will keep you from kicking yourself about how you tuned it wrong. A ported saw just sounds & acts different, you have to adjust your hearing to that as opposed to a stock saw. When my decomp went bad I just knew something wasn’t quite right but convinced myself in was in my head. If I had shut it down right then I might of saved the piston but I made a couple more cuts.

Last edited:
Sorry to here about your saw Spacebus. Don’t limit yourself to carb adjustments as the cause. I had a decomp valve go bad on my Stihl 440 fortunately the cylinder was able to be cleaned up & it just required a new piston. Impulse lines leaking sometimes can be the cause of them going lean also. None of these things change the fact that your saw crapped out & that’s a huge bummer but if it’s something other than the carb it will keep you from kicking yourself about how you tuned it wrong. A ported saw just sounds & acts different, you have to adjust your hearing to that as opposed to a stock saw. When my decomp went bad I just knew something wasn’t quite right but convinced myself in was in my head. If I had shut it down right then I might of saved the piston but I made a couple more cuts.

Right at the end it bogged down once or twice, but I was cutting a large stack of firewood shorter, so I figured it was technique rather than the saw. If the cylinder is salvageable then perhaps I'll rebuild it myself and learn a bit about it. I've rebuilt automotive engines, so I'm sure i can handle it. Just have to make some time.

I do have a cylinder pressure tester sitting in my toolbox, so I can do that first. What's the procedure for checking vacuum? I sent the builder a message so I'll get to diagnosing things tomorrow. Today was just a bit frustrating, especially with not even running a full tank of fuel yet.

@thewoodlands I do still have the 460, so I will be sharpening some chains tomorrow.
What i do is plug the intake with a piece of inner tube between the carb and carb mount,plug the exhaust with the same between the muffler and cylinder.I have a spark plug that i have welded a nipple on for the hose of the vac/pressure tester.Then test for vacuum.If it dosn't hold at least 5 LBS vacuum for a couple of minuites then i put around the same preasure on it and start looking for leaks,Soapy water around the seals,intake boot, cylinder base gasket,and if you still don't see the leak submerge the saw in a bucket of water with pressure in the saw,the leaks cannot hide in water.

Reactions: JimBear