Kiln dried lumber how can I burn it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake

Hearth Supporter
Dec 11, 2005
nw burbs of Chi
My insert is getting installed in Friday... YES I will post lotsa pics.

I have access to all the kiln dried lumber I could ever burn.
How do I go about burning with it and not getting it too hot?

Mix with firewood?
Cut almost all of the air off?

It will be mostly red and white oak, walnut, hickory,

The occasional exotic ...Jatoba, Ipe, Santos Mahogany

Jake said:
My insert is getting installed in Friday... YES I will post lotsa pics.

I have access to all the kiln dried lumber I could ever burn.
How do I go about burning with it and not getting it too hot?

Mix with firewood?
Cut almost all of the air off?

It will be mostly red and white oak, walnut, hickory,

The occasional exotic ...Jatoba, Ipe, Santos Mahogany
I'd say unless using as kindling in your stove....... a nice outside fire pit is a good choice....... But what do I know I use pellets...
I'm sure you will hear from a woodburner soon............(it might not be good) :)

Whats the best way to watch temps? thermometer? what kind?

This is similar to the thermometer I have

http://www.northlineexpress.com/detail~PRODUCT_ID~5CN-3-4.asp

Just place it on the top of your insert and it should give you a pretty good idea of the temps. Inserts can be difficult to get really accurate temps on, unless your using one of them new fangled laser thermometers ;)

I have been burning some red oak flooring scraps , and they burn fast and hot, so I mix them with the hardwood. They are great for startup fires along with the super cedars. I use a thermometer similar to that one shown, however i have it on my stove top, and the red line temps shown are decieving, because thats for the chimney pipe. My stove burns ideal in the 500 to 650 range, which is shown as over fire on that guage.

hardwood715 said:
I have been burning some red oak flooring scraps , and they burn fast and hot, so I mix them with the hardwood. They are great for startup fires along with the super cedars. I use a thermometer similar to that one shown, however i have it on my stove top, and the red line temps shown are decieving, because thats for the chimney pipe. My stove burns ideal in the 500 to 650 range, which is shown as over fire on that guage.

this one may be a better choice
http://www.northlineexpress.com/detail~PRODUCT_ID~5RU-701.asp

Yeah I zoomed in on that package, and it looks like it starts the red line at 600 thats better than 500, good catch, thanks!

Well, I burnt some walnut flooring tonight, Just dampered down and she was good to go, filled the fire box 1/4 or so full

I've been putting it in rubbermade containers (totes), but I have a 3x8 foot trailer that I'm putting sides on to fill and leave in my garage

I've got a thermometer and put it on the front of the insert right above the door, The highest temp I had today was 450, burning walnut. Red oak having more btu's will get hotter correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.