Kindling Cracker?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aqua-Andy

Sep 26, 2014
NewHampshire
An add popped up for the Kindling Cracker on my FaceBook feed and thought it looked decent. I tried searching the forum but did not see any reviews from people that have used it. I have been toying with the idea of building a kindling splitter so the kids can help out with the chore but this looks promising. Anyone here used one or heard good reviews?

If my memory is correct the girl in Australia who designed this did so as a school project or something like that and was here gaining some input early on with her design and marketing . . . but I could be wrong.

Reactions: Jags
Reactions: BlankBlankBlank
If my memory is correct the girl in Australia who designed this did so as a school project or something like that and was here gaining some input early on with her design and marketing . . . but I could be wrong.

That is what I saw when I searched here. But I did not see any reviews from people that have purchased one. My main method of making kindling is an ax and using a 48 ounce deadblow hammer to hit the ax to drive it into the wood. This is a relatively safe method but I was looking for something safer for the kids to use. I have been using the same method for many years, actually taught to me by a boy scout leader when I was in scouts, only difference is he used the hatchet to form a handle on the end of a small log to use as a mallet. I never hurt myself with this method and I'm sure my kids would be fine but you never know.

I was wrong . . .she is from New Zealand.

If I hadn't of bought the little electric splitter that I put out on the breezeway I would have bought the Kindling Splitter years ago. I don't do holding something I am swinging a hatchet at anymore. Well, maybe somebody's shirt... >>

Yea, I bought one from Northern Tool. Simply the perfect tool for the job. You will need a little sledge to hammer the splits through the cracker....the 3 pounder suggested on northern tool is good. Real easy and no need to worry about losing fingers or nasty cuts. I bolted/screwed the cracker onto the log I use for making kindling then put a bucket on top to keep weather off the cracker (spray with WD40 every so often to keep it from rusting). Can't believe how damn easy to use and how damn easy to create a pile of kindling.

I use my 5 ton electric splitter for kindling. It's easy to use, and I also have my kids use it.

I just put large box under my gas splitter, it catches all the chips and strips, then I throw them in an old 230 gal plastic tote tank with a hole cut in the side.
If I needed kindling otherwise, I would just run the splitter extra.

Status
Not open for further replies.