kindling splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

micaaronfl

Dec 5, 2010
pennsylvania
hello everyone,

i get about 4 cords of wood a year and then i have to buy tons of fatwood kindling as the splits are tough to light as there pretty big. Are there any good, not too expensive kindling splitters? i would use an axe but i had a prob,em one time that almost left me with one arm.

i saw one online that was wall mounted, but it was a bit expensive at like 180 bucks or something. was wondering if anyone had experience with that one?

Find some wood shops and ask if you can clean up their scrap wood for free. You may get more than you can handle along with some good usable wood for projects around the house.

hello everyone,

i get about 4 cords of wood a year and then i have to buy tons of fatwood kindling as the splits are tough to light as there pretty big. Are there any good, not too expensive kindling splitters? i would use an axe but i had a prob,em one time that almost left me with one arm.

i saw one online that was wall mounted, but it was a bit expensive at like 180 bucks or something. was wondering if anyone had experience with that one?
Which one would that be?

I purchased a SMART SPLITTER 4 years ago and I am amazed how well it works every time I pull it out. Great to make kindling of any size and split or re-split almost any log. Google SMART SPLITTER and read up on excellent reviews, plenty of reviews and videos on YOU TUBE as well. Just love mine, money very well spent, very safe and reliable, young kids and women can use this safely and efficiently. No gas or electricity required, can be used outside or inside the house.

http://www.baileysonline.com/Forest...Cutting-Tools/Smart-Splitter-Log-Splitter.axd

If you're splitting you own wood, you should have plenty of scraps to use as kindling after splitting 4 cords. If your buying it split, ask your supplier if he can throw in a few boxes of scraps from splitting.

I always make kindling while I am splitting wood. I always have shorts to make kindling out of. 5 minutes of work on a 22 ton splitter makes a large pile of kindling.

If you save good dry straight grained wood for Kindling its easy to split with a hatchet.
Just takes some fore thought and planning.

I like to use a plain 4 lb chopping axe. I don't use my Fiskars as they are too sharp to be working that close to my hand with. As I split my firewood for the year I keep a 5 gal bucket on hand to toss the scraps into.

Forgot to mention I set aside pine with a lot of pitch when I have it. You can light good pine pitch with a match and its the best fire starter I have seen.

Reactions: jackatc1
I use a Fiskars X25 - guess I'm living dangerously. :)

Re. the OP - if using an axe is risking limbs, or even digits, you need to overhaul your technique. To one that doesn't involve an actual axe swing.

I re-sawed a bunch of Fir bridge timbers into 1" flooring for my house.I ended up with a huge pile of scraps.
I had a pickup with a canopy on it that i wasn't using.I completely filled the back of the truck with the scraps from the sawmill.That was 5 yrs ago,still have 3/4 truck full so it looks like my kindleing supply will last another 15 yrs,so long as nobody wants to buy the truck.It is one of my many 67-72 Chev/GMC trucks.
So my point is try and find someone that has a small mill in their yard and make a deal.

Reactions: Jazzberry
I imagine that will last you a lifetime in Northern Canada. Probably only light a fire once a year lol.

I imagine that will last you a lifetime in Northern Canada. Probably only light a fire once a year lol.
My system is designed to start a fire every day.
The last couple of days it has dropped to -40 at nights.
I have 1000 gals hot water storage,and at these temps we start a fire at 4pm and burn wide open till 11/12 PM and draw from storage till 4PM the next day.
Our boiler is a piece of cake to fire,my wife has no qualms about starting and maintaining a fire till storage is full.
Basic,tough,safe system that has it's own building.

I sink my double bit into the splitting block, and tap 10" 2x4 scraps onto the bit with a nylon hammer. I can fill a 30 gallon tote in half hour

Reactions: Ashful
I sink my double bit into the splitting block, and tap 10" 2x4 scraps onto the bit with a nylon hammer. I can fill a 30 gallon tote in half hour

I do the same. Too easy, quick, and free.

Reactions: coreboy83
I use 2 by 4 scraps for kindling too. They get going fast!

I use a 5 ton electric splitter for that. Works great.

My wife bought me a Fiskars X7 Hatchet, love it. I've had a couple hatchets since I was kid but none ever split kindling like this thing does. I use mostly construction scraps and usually there's always a dead Pine tree or two on the farm and get all the kindling I need from those two sources.

When I was a kid my late Father had a way of seeking out old Pine knots from fallen dead pine trees in the woods and we would split the knots into kindling and man did they burn. The tree itself would always be long gone due to rot but the knots were still there rock solid.