king 5502M problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

richny02

Mar 3, 2017
md
Hi all frustrated and hope someone can help. Yes, I looked at the troubleshooting thread. Just got this stove and is still outside not hooked up to any venting. When I plug it in the stove fans come on high and it displays a code error 1. Called ussc and they said it sounded like a bad board, so I ordered one. Before installing it I plugged it back in and it worked normal by having to push the on button, the auger was jammed at the time so I shut it off and cleared it. Plugged it back in error again. Put in the new board, same thing shows error 1. I have downloaded the manuals and traced every wire and there is no limit switch or thermistor. Every wire is accounted for which goes to the hopper switch, ignitor, exhaust fan, intake fan, pressure switch, auger motor and ground. If there was a limit switch or thermistor there will be two wires somewhere, which there is not. Where is the thermistor supposed to be located? I see in the diagram the connection is above the connection for the ignitor, but nothing is attached and there are no loose wires anywhere. Had both sides completely off and see nothing. I'm figuring without the thermistor hooked up the boaed can't read a signal and goes into error.

Update** Think I found the thermistor thanks to a pic on a parts place. Seems to be screwed onto the wall above the exhaust fan (which I thought was a ground) the end going to the board is a little plastic clip piece which slides over prongs...Now, How do I test the thermistor to see if it's bad?

Last edited:
Judging this is a used stove... Did you run through the test mode using the off and auger delay buttons? Page 14 of the manual http://www.usstove.com/Manuals/USSC/5502M.pdf Can check if the thermistor is reading temp.

Did you do a thorough clean using FirepotPete's link .... especially the knock out plugs on the back wall of the firebox?

Since there is no limit switch and it uses a thermistor, I'm thinking a bad thermistor may be the problem. The error code states (according to all the manuals I've downloaded, operating/installation and troubleshooting on that board-80558) the high limit is tripped and possible causes are inadequate ventilation(no vent installed-sitting on back deck), room fan failure(room fan comes on during test), exhaust blockage( again not installed or vent hooked up) and Electrical open in wiring.
Since there is no limit switch the thermistor must register the exhaust temp. If it's bad then I'm thinking this may show up as an open in the wiring?

Did you run the test for the thermistor?
I saw no specific test for a thermistor. The test on the board shows exhaust temp which is high(534 degrees) considering it's not running. Another forum said about testing the resistance of the thermistor as it's heating up to see the change in resistance as it gets hotter. Can't really do that if it doesn't start.

Guess it's time to invest in a thermistor if it is reading that hot while not running! The Exhaust temps was the test I meant. Keep us posted on your progress.

Guess it's time to invest in a thermistor if it is reading that hot while not running! The Exhaust temps was the test I meant. Keep us posted on your progress.
Oh ok, thanks. Thought I was missing a test. By the way, is this stove even worth putting money into? I've read some differing opinions on these stoves. Last one I had was a harmon.

Worth putting money into it......

Depends on what you paid for it i guess.

A Harman is in a totally different price range than the King so you'll have to lower your expectations a bit.

Unfortunately US Stoves have way over priced circuit boards for such an inexpensive stove.

I personally don't like the King models and their pulsing exhaust speeds, drives me crazy. Have had better luck with the 6039 and 6041 models with regards to set up and heating.

Worth putting money into it......

Depends on what you paid for it i guess.

A Harman is in a totally different price range than the King so you'll have to lower your expectations a bit.

Unfortunately US Stoves have way over priced circuit boards for such an inexpensive stove.

I personally don't like the King models and their pulsing exhaust speeds, drives me crazy. Have had better luck with the 6039 and 6041 models with regards to set up and heating.

Well i paid 300 for it which included the ventig. Spent almost 500 on a board which appears i don't need and now 65 for the tbermistor. Suppose I could sell the board but it may come in handy later if i get it running.

When is the thermistor due in? Curious if that cures the problem.

I would keep the board if you are planning on keeping the stove. No point in closing the barn door after the horses are gone:( Likely won't get full value if you sell the board anyway...

Shame on USSC tech support for not having you run the board test before jumping to that suggestion. Would have shown the exhaust temp value way out of range ...

When is the thermistor due in? Curious if that cures the problem.

I would keep the board if you are planning on keeping the stove. No point in closing the barn door after the horses are gone:( Likely won't get full value if you sell the board anyway...

Shame on USSC tech support for not having you run the board test before jumping to that suggestion. Would have shown the exhaust temp value way out of range ...
It's supposed to be here any day now. Def let everyone know the outcome.

You're pretty close to the cost of a new King minus the venting. But you have a spare board, not everyone can say that. To which I'd probably use the new board and keep the old one as the spare at this point, unless you already swapped it back out..

Reactions: Lake Girl
Well all, good news! The thermistor came in, installed it (very easy-2 minuets) and it fired up! So my problem was solved for $62.00. Thought that was high for a thermistor, considering I wasn't for sure that was it, but a lot cheaper than the $500 for the new board I don't need. Grr...
So, What I took away from this that if it's showing an error code 1, run the board diagnostics and look at the temp reading. Mine was over 500 degrees without it even running or able to start up. If it shows an abnormal reading, replace the thermistor. Now on to the install of the unit.

Reactions: FirepotPete
Glad to hear that cured your problem! On to the install ... pics or it didn't happen==c

I haven't installed it yet. Wanted to make sure it was running first. Plan on working on it soon. As soon as I get a wall thimble

Awesome, can't wait to see the photos ! Being now March you might have to order in a thimble, depends how well stocked your area stores are.