King/Ashley, 5500M, running issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

doublekay2

Oct 29, 2021
Central NH
Hi all. Looking for some help after searching and being more confused I think.. So bought this King/Ashley 5500M used its a 2014 apparently. Of course before using it I want to go completely though it. It was dirty. The baffle behind what Id call the firewall (had to little clean out at the bottom next to the firebox) was jamb packed with ash. I ran coat hangers all round in it, vacuumed it, blew it with air, finished with leaf blower.. Pulled the draft fan, cleaned and blew that out, and cleaned everything i could everywhere. Shes all cleaned up now from top to bottom and tried her out.

Started fine, ran for about 10 minutes and stopped feeding from the auger. at the same time I noticed the draft fan was pulsing (turning on and off pretty much). Was hard to notice the draft fan pulsing as the room fan turned on. Also saw that the led above AUX went out about the same time.

So then figured out the pressure switch hole going into the back of the stove was clogged tight.. Cleaned her out with air and finally got it clean. Pulled the pressure switch and gave her a little suck and blow. Used a meter on that and it appears good. I reinstalled.. but keep having the same thing happen when trying to run her. I jumped out the pressure switch and at about 10 minutes had the same thing happen. auger not feeding and draft fan pulsing. knocked on the pressure switch and she started feeding again but fan continued to pulse.

Ordered a new pressure switch and when I make it home will try that.. Might be all she needs????. SO I guess my question is, shouldn't the auger still work when I have the pressure switch jumped? And does anyone know the sequence of the circuit board (does this from minute 0-1, igniter starts and stop intervals, and such) What happens at about 10 minutes in that would cause this?

Any suggestions or comments would be great... I'll let ya know if just the pressure switch replacing works.. Fingers Crossed

Regards all.. Thanks

Ordered a new pressure switch and when I make it home will try that.. Might be all she needs What happens at about 10 minutes in that would cause this?
I might be the pressure switch but the 10 minute mark is suspicious. I would check the Thermistor connection on control board at J9 should be a white cloth weave wire, also check were it connects on the exhaust blower. Stove checks to see if it has reached 130 degrees after 10 minutes if not it goes into shutdown mode. You say the room blower comes on so thermistor/control board are reading temperature but some times when blowers come on it can wiggle a loose thermistor and cause shutdown. Pulsing exhaust blower is normal for this stove.

thermistor.jpg

I might be the pressure switch but the 10 minute mark is suspicious. I would check the Thermistor connection on control board at J9 should be a white cloth weave wire, also check were it connects on the exhaust blower. Stove checks to see if it has reached 130 degrees after 10 minutes if not it goes into shutdown mode. You say the room blower comes on so thermistor/control board are reading temperature but some times when blowers come on it can wiggle a loose thermistor and cause shutdown. Pulsing exhaust blower is normal for this stove.

View attachment 284345
Thanks for letting me know pulsing of the draft fan is normal. Apparently it was the pressure switch. Replaced after my ultra cleaning and it’s working perfectly.

Thanks for letting me know pulsing of the draft fan is normal. Apparently it was the pressure switch. Replaced after my ultra cleaning and it’s working perfectly.
Your 'ultra cleaning' and mine are two different animals. Get yourself a pack of bottle brushes off Amazon and use them, not a coathanger. Bet you still have ash in there.