King/Ashley/USSC 5510 Revisted

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dogwreck

Oct 12, 2022
Kentucky
I followed instructions per the 5510 King Review...thank you, thank you. I was beginning to almost scrap this stove but I came across that thread. Hands down the biggest thing I did that helped me the most was seal the bottom ash slide doors. When I did that it was like a new stove. I immediately felt the difference when I fired it back up. I have a 2009 model and it was used very little from the guy I got it from who bought it brand new. It heats my 36x24 shop with 10 ft ceilings no problem. I'm running it on 1 with room fan on Auto and draft fan on 2. The temp is is 20's 30' outside and shop is 65....too hot for ashop really. Just thought I'd share because there seems to be a ton of these stoves still around. I see them on FB market place every day.

I have a USSC 6500 that I use to heat my house. It took some tweaking to get it working the way I wanted, but now it works great.

I have it setup to run off a room thermostat. This means it runs at PR1 until the thermostat calls for heat. Then it ramps up to PR2 or 3 depending on how I have the stove set.

I adjusted the PR1 feed rate way down so it acts sort of like a pilot light. It took some trial and error to figure out how low I could go with the feed rate and not have the fire go out. For me it was 1.6pph. It can vary stove to stove. I read where some can go as low as .75pph and some have to stay above 2pph.

You may be able to adjust yours if you want your temp to be lower than the 65*.

I also just set my draft fan to auto so it can ramp up and down depending on the heat setting etc. You can adjust the Auto Draft fan low and high points in the programming mode as well. I turned mine down in an attempt to keep more heat in the burn chamber and get more heat out of a lower feed rate setting.