King model K26 insert questions

xashen Posted By xashen, Nov 13, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xashen

    New Member 2.

    Nov 13, 2013
    NE Oklahoma

    I recently purchased a used King model K26 and have a few questions about it. I've been unable to find any information on it through Google and was wondering if anyone here may be able to help me out.

    This is my first fireplace insert, I'm pretty excited! I live out in the country and have tons of wood to burn. Here's a picture taken just after installing it:


    1. The damper on top is just a rectangular hole about the same size as my chimney, not a 6" diameter hole like most of the ones I've seen. The previous owner had just slid it into the fireplace with no liner, so I did the same. Am I supposed to install a liner and somehow connect a 6" pipe?

    2. The damper on top is stuck and won't slide back and forth. When I first brought it home it was stuck, so I knocked it loose, cleaned it, and used some high-temp lube to help it slide, but it got stuck again after the first burn. I think what's happening is it gets twisted a bit and slides into the walls. Is there anything I can do to prevent this?

    3. There doesn't seem to be any way to control the air going in, there's just open holes on the bottom and sides of the door. It doesn't look like it's missing any parts, just designed this way. Should I make something to plug those holes to get less airflow when needed?

    4. There aren't any firebricks inside the insert. I've seen some stoves online that have them, should I buy some and stack them on sides?

    Thanks for any help, looking forward to being a part of this community!
  2. begreen

    Mooderator 2.
    Staff Member

    Nov 18, 2005
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Slammer installations are no longer approved. The stove should at least be connected to the chimney with a short stub and damper sealing block off plate or better yet with a full liner for safest operation. This will require attaching a rectangle to round adapter plate.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page