Kit for liner cleaning. What do I need?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
Hi, This is gonna be my first cleaning. Last year I've burnt biobrocks part time. Never got to sweeping. I got 6" insulated double wall smooth liner. It's 15 ' . Almost straight. After 11 or so feet goes slight 25 degree to the left and after anoter feet goes straight and meets the stove.Not a lot of bending but some. Easy access from the roof.

What do I need for cleaning and what brands you can recommend . I need something solid and relible since I'm planing to burn wood this year and sweep quite often.

I have a 25' liner, mostly rigid but with 3' of corrugated immediately above the insert. I bought one of these brushes and several of these rods. I can't compare this set to anything else because it's the only chimney brush I've ever used, but the value for the price seems good and the parts seem likely to last a long time.

The brush goes through the rigid liner very easily -- maybe even with a bit too much clearance, but because my liner is insulated I've seen little creosote except at the very top where it's easy to deal with. Getting the brush though the curved corrugated pipe, at the end of 25' of flexing rods, takes some oomph, but it will do it.

The rods come in various lengths. Longer sections means you have fewer joints to connect and disconnect while you work, but I have found the 5' length a bit unwieldy. I might make some sort of quiver to keep them all together.

My roof is on the steep side of walkable, and off the backside is a 3-story drop onto a concrete patio, so I always wear sticky shoes, only clean the chimney when the roof is clean and dry, and use a safety rope while I'm up there.

Reactions: D8Chumley
another vote for sooteater, fast and easy

Is sooteater good for smooth liner ? Don't want to scratch it .
I have easy access from the roof , so it's not a factor .

Is sooteater good for smooth liner ? Don't want to scratch it .
I have easy access from the roof , so it's not a factor .

It uses flexible nylon string, like a weedwacker. Very easy on the liners, you spin it with your drill. Just make sure to lock the sections together firmly before shoving them up.

Status
Not open for further replies.