Kozy heat igniter won't light pilot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bettarecognize

Jan 15, 2022
Canada
I just changed the pilot assembly(pilot burner, thermopile, thermocouple and igniter) and hooked everything back up. The igniter works until I push in the pilot knob and then the igniter stops working until about 5 seconds after I release the pilot knob.

Any ideas?

That igniter is or should be totally isolated from the gas valve.
The Off-Pilot-On knob does not affect the piezo.
Check to make sure the wiring connections are tight.

That igniter is or should be totally isolated from the gas valve.
The Off-Pilot-On knob does not affect the piezo.
Check to make sure the wiring connections are tight.
That's what I thought too but I've even taken the piezo it of the stove, sparked it multiple times then depressed the off-pilot-on knob and it stops working until I release the off-pilot-on knob.

I did read on another site that it can happen if there is no flow of gas, but I've never had that issue before. Opening it up to confirm gas is flowing.

Lol I figured out the problem. Apparently, the peizo spark travels further through air than gas. I bent the igniter a bit closer and it lit the pilot. Crazy.

Reactions: DAKSY