Kozy Heat not so hot?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beekeeper

Apr 2, 2008
Virginia
Just fired up my new KozyHeat today - we're building a new house so this is going in new construction. I have to admit i was a little disappointed in the amount of heat it threw out -- even when the fans were running it just didn't seem to move much air or heat at all - if I put my face near the grills I could tell that some air was moving, but there certainly wasn't much velocity to it. I checked my wiring to make sure I didn't have the polarity wrong - that seems to be correct. Those of you with Kozy Heats - how much volume do you expect from the fan on the highest speed setting?

Thanks,
Beek

I know nothing about Kozy Heat but I do have a few suggestions. If the fan has a variable speed or thermostat it might not be coming on due to low heat output. Maybe your not building good enough fires. Do you have dry wood? Try building a hot fire either with lumber or small splits. The stove should heat up fast.

Yep, wood is dry and fire's hot -- maybe my expectations are just out of whack for a ZC fireplace. I'm aware that simply standing in front of a ZC fireplace I wouldn't expect to feel the same kind of radiant heat that I would from a simple steel plate stove, but I expected pretty strong convection and, when the fans are running, a decent blast of air. I'm hoping that what I bought really is reasonably efficient, and isn't just shoving a lot of heat up the chimney. Are these inserts/ ZC's just that much less efficient than a free standing stove?

beekeeper said:
and isn't just shoving a lot of heat up the chimney.

This may very well be what is happening. Do you know if a lower block off plate was installed with this setup? If not, you could have a substantial amount of heat drifting up your chimney.

I don't think it's related to a blockoff plate - this is new construction so it's 6" duratech from the top of the insert all the way up and out the roof.

Could you post a pic of this rig?

I have one of those "builders grade" ZC fireplaces here and it was not all that great. I don't want to confuse this thing I have with a better unit if that is what you have.

Which Kozyheat do you have beekeeper? I have the z42. I run mine 450-525 with the thermometer midway up the doors. It takes about 1-2 hours before it completely heats up. I have never had a woodstove but i think the z42 puts off a good amount of heat. Something you might check is the fan speed control. Is it turned all the way up? Even on full speed the fan is still a litlle lame. Kozyheat could definatley put a stronger fan in. Hope this helps.

Sorry for the slow reply - spent the day working at the house. I have the z42 as well, but I don't have a thermometer for it yet. I probably should go ahead and get one -- I fired it up again today for a few hours while I was down there working, and today I thought the heat output felt a little better. I did check the fan control, and it's turned the whole way up. I think you're right - the fans are just a little lame in these, and I was expecting a little more air movement when the fan is on. And it does do about like you say - takes a couple of hours to heat up. So maybe everything is fine. Thanks again for responding amitch; I was hoping there was someone out there with a z42.

While you're building, might want to consider running ducts for forced air connection to the fireplace. Another way of getting heat from the fireplace. I think that unit allows connection...

I've considered it, but I'm concerned that the forced air through the ducts would be just as weak as the fan-kit that is supposed to blow air directly into the room. If I hold my hand 12 inches from the upper grill of the unit I currently can feel very little air movement. I've lost interest in the ducts because I'm afraid they'd be just as feeble. Anyone else tried them?

I have one of these in my house. I first thought the fan wasn't hooked up at all. I guess it is controlled by thermostat and needs to be hot first. The fan on mine isn't multispeed, just on or off. It isn't the strongest but I appreciate it not being so noisy too. I guess it's a tradeoff. That is why I went with slab heat, I was tired of turning the volume up and down whenever the forced air was going. Overall I am pleased with the z42. It does take awhile to heat up all of the brick, but it does burn very hot when it gets going and it doesn't use a lot of wood. I also have put some wood that's not entirely seasoned through here. I can't wait until next year when I have much more dry seasoned wood. Already working on the pile.

take it easy

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.