Kozy Heat Z42 Burn time

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have heard that the Kozy heat high effic. fireplace burns exactly like a wood stove but looks like a fireplace. These are very nice and put out great heat.

These even impress the hard to impress customers. Perfect option for those trying to get away from high cost propane use.

I just looked at one today and I forget what the guy told me. It looks like really nice. What do you think about the duct option? I think we are going to rip out the piece of junk Heatilator and get this one. It should pay for itself in two years. It would be nice to run the ducts to the basement and have some heat down there so the kids can play in the basement in the winter.

I have the Kozy Z42. Great ZC fireplace. I'm using it to heat a 2300 sq. ft. home. I've had it now for around 5 years now. There are a few firebrick that need to be replaced and the board that sits on top of the afterburners that have firebrick on top of them need replaced also. Around $100 should do it. Only problem, the glass smokes up fairly often, but I think thats normal. Just burn hot and not too much wet wood and it works pretty good. You get use to cleaning it once or twice a week with Rutlands Glass Cleaner, after you let it cool down good. My furnace almost never comes on until the temp falls below 20F, unless the fire burns out. Burn time of course depends on your wood and how much you put in. I'll load it with 3 logs when I go to bed around 8:00 and my wife throws a couple more logs on around 11:00 when she heads to bed. I get up at 3:00 and load it back up as full as I can get it, cut back on the air supply and it will burn and leave enough coals that my wife or kids can throw more wood on in the morning around 7:00 and keep it going all day - in the evening - repeat. I burn a lot of White and Green Ash, Red Oak and some Maple, I hate Silver Maple. I have a little Locust and Apple this year too. There is so much Ash here it is impossible to take it all. I started looking for wood this fall and in two weeks I had 6 cords piled up in yard to cut and split. I just got done, I'm tired but I have a great wood pile now. Good Luck with the Z42, its the best burner I've ever used or seen. Oh, the two ducts on top, if you hook them up they need to run up and horizontal, not down to the basement, sorry. I do have a single fan blower hooked up inside under it.

I guess that would depend on what you burn in it. I am burning softer wood and it will burn several hours when it is loaded full and the air turned down. It was -20 F last night and this definitely keeps the house warm. The blower stays on for awhile even after the fire is out. I will post more as I get my hands on some better firewood. Although, we only have two more months of winter :)

gotta love northern Minnesota.

Status
Not open for further replies.