Kuma insert, question for owners

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Russn77

Jan 20, 2021
North Central Ohio
Hey its me, I'm still shopping for the right insert for us. So, question for Kuma insert owners:

How well does your insert radiate heat without the use of the blower? I talked to a dealer and he said he hardly ever sells the blowers because the inserts convect heat really well. I have a ceiling fan in a cathedral ceiling over my living room where the insert will be.

I've attached pics of my fireplace and layout if that helps. House is 1600 Sq Ft. I'm sure the Alpine insert will work, but I'm thinking of getting the Cascade so I can use it without a blower as much as possible.

Also, if you have any suggestions: my wife really would rather have the PE Alderlea T5 insert...I'm trying to talk her into a KUMA instead. Their warranty is appealing, and their customer service has excelled beyond anyone else except for maybe Woodstock stoves. And believe me, I've been bugging them! Help me sway my wife's mind! LOL. Honestly, I think its the bland steel surround she dislikes.

I've considered just getting their thin surround and trimming it flush with the sides of the fireplace opening, I'm wondering how that would work/look?

InkedNeumann Fireplace_LI.jpg nlayout1.jpg nlayout2.jpg

Last edited:
I do not have an insert I have the free standing stove. It does have a very good convection blower built in. Try it without the blower and if you don't like it can you have the blower put on or install it after the fact? The stove puts out a lot of heat. I have the summit insert on the main floor and I like that as well. I do not think either route would be bad. Pe and Kuma both make very good products. The Kuma glass does not stay clean on the stove but maybe that has changed with the newer technology. The summit is always clean and has a very nice viewing when the fire is going. As I said either one will do well.

Reactions: begreen and Russn77
I have the Cascade downstairs and the Alpine upstairs. Get the Cascade. They are both great stoves, and we are very happy with them. We have blower on both, and use blowers at all times there is fire. We installed them as far onto our hearth as we could to allow more radiant heat as well.

You could get pretty creative as far as the surround goes. Kuma surround fastening locations are very simple. You could easily have something custom built to satisfy your wife’s tastes.

I have the Cascade downstairs and the Alpine upstairs. Get the Cascade. They are both great stoves, and we are very happy with them. We have blower on both, and use blowers at all times there is fire. We installed them as far onto our hearth as we could to allow more radiant heat as well.

You could get pretty creative as far as the surround goes. Kuma surround fastening locations are very simple. You could easily have something custom built to satisfy your wife’s tastes.

Thanks for the info! We have decided to go with a Kuma Alpine. I had a pretty good and lengthy conversation with Jason from Kuma and his recommendation was to get the Alpine instead of the Cascade. Given our location, the Cascade will roast us out the house most of the burning season. I'll be ordering the insert this week.

Thanks for the info! We have decided to go with a Kuma Alpine. I had a pretty good and lengthy conversation with Jason from Kuma and his recommendation was to get the Alpine instead of the Cascade. Given our location, the Cascade will roast us out the house most of the burning season. I'll be ordering the insert this week.
Hi Russn,

Curious how has your Alpine worked out for you? I am deciding btw Kuma vs Morso Fireplace insert for a well air sealed house with a powerful kitchen hood. How do you like your Kuma so far? Did you get an outside air kit for it?

Thank you

Reactions: crispr and Russn77
Hi Russn,

Curious how has your Alpine worked out for you? I am deciding btw Kuma vs Morso Fireplace insert for a well air sealed house with a powerful kitchen hood. How do you like your Kuma so far? Did you get an outside air kit for it?

Thank you

We are enjoying the Alpine. We have a 1600 sq. ft. log home with open floor plan and cathedra ceiling in the living space. We use a ceiling fan to help distribute heat. We are able to heat our house very well. The coldest its been here is 10 F, and the Alpine did well. The only misgiving I have is the small firebox. But we knew that going into it. The larger insert (Cascade) would have heated us out of our home.

We did not get the outside air kit. But being a log home, I'm sure there's leaks all over lol.

Its been a great stove so far, this is our first season with it. Kuma support has been outstanding (thanks Jason). It's a very well built stove.

We have the blower with our Alpine and use allot. Mostly used on low and we can barely hear it. Its also a great tool for cooling the stove down if it gets to hot. I feel its a must have option for a insert. Free standing not so much.

Hi Russn
We are enjoying the Alpine. We have a 1600 sq. ft. log home with open floor plan and cathedra ceiling in the living space. We use a ceiling fan to help distribute heat. We are able to heat our house very well. The coldest its been here is 10 F, and the Alpine did well. The only misgiving I have is the small firebox. But we knew that going into it. The larger insert (Cascade) would have heated us out of our home.

We did not get the outside air kit. But being a log home, I'm sure there's leaks all over lol.

Its been a great stove so far, this is our first season with it. Kuma support has been outstanding (thanks Jason). It's a very well built stove.
Hi Russn
How far does the Alpine insert extend into the room? I'm considering either the Alpine insert or the Lopi Evergreen. If you watch the video in the link below, he mentions the insert has a 5 1/2" warming shelf that could be used to brew tea or heat soup. Is the Alpine similar in that regard?
Thanks!

Hi Russn

Hi Russn
How far does the Alpine insert extend into the room? I'm considering either the Alpine insert or the Lopi Evergreen. If you watch the video in the link below, he mentions the insert has a 5 1/2" warming shelf that could be used to brew tea or heat soup. Is the Alpine similar in that regard?
Thanks!

So, the way the Kuma inserts work is that the shroud is adjustable in such a way that if you have the space, you can stuff it into the fireplace or extend it out a bit. I believe mine is extended beyond the fireplace face about 9-10 inches. I'll have to measure but I think that is about right. It's all going to be determined by your firebox depth, your hearth depth, and most importantly: where your liner/pipe comes down.

Reactions: crispr
I had a Sequioa, and I felt the blower was necessary given it was used as an insert.

When I would not run the blower, I personally did not feel the heat output was all the great It did certainly have some natural convection, but the blower was really needed to get those BTU's out of the stove. The blower is noisy though, which is annoying.

How tall is your chimney? I ended up replacing my unit with a Woodstock Ideal after 3 years because it simply could not deal with the draft of my tall chimney.

So, the way the Kuma inserts work is that the shroud is adjustable in such a way that if you have the space, you can stuff it into the fireplace or extend it out a bit. I believe mine is extended beyond the fireplace face about 9-10 inches. I'll have to measure but I think that is about right. It's all going to be determined by your firebox depth, your hearth depth, and most importantly: where your liner/pipe comes down.
Hi Russn77,
I am about to purchase the Kuma Alpine as well. My two main concerns are the viewing area of the door & the small fire box, most of my logs are 17 inches or so. I would buy the Cascade but according to Kuma it would be too hot for my needs. Our house is 2K ranch.
How do you like the viewing area of the door? And does the smaller fire box cause issues with loading wood?

Thanks for any input/opinion

Hi Russn77,
I am about to purchase the Kuma Alpine as well. My two main concerns are the viewing area of the door & the small fire box, most of my logs are 17 inches or so. I would buy the Cascade but according to Kuma it would be too hot for my needs. Our house is 2K ranch.
How do you like the viewing area of the door? And does the smaller fire box cause issues with loading wood?

Thanks for any input/opinion

Those were both concerns we had as well. We had initially wanted the Cascade and were told it would heat us out of the house (1600 sqft cabin). The viewing area (glass) is really nice and provides a good view of the fire. Loading for the most part has not been an issue. Most of my wood stock is cut around 16", though we do have about a cord of 18"+ that I'll need to trim. 14-16" is perfect for North/South loading. 16"-17" seem to load fine East/West, though I can squeeze in a 18".

Either way, we are happy with our decision. The alpine heats our entire house, except for the basement. Its in our living room area, which opens up to cathedral ceiling and a loft area where 2 bedrooms are. Leaving those doors opens keeps them toasty. Our kitchen/dining area is adjacent to the stove area and stays warm. Then we have a bedroom and bathroom on the opposite end of the house down a hallway. We have a 6" fan on the floor blowing cold air toward the stove are and it creates a nice convection. If its 72 in the living room its 68 in the back bedroom and bathroom. During the cold spat we had last week (or 2 wees ago, can't recall) we had temps of -3 F and the Kuma kept up really well. My living area never went below 70F except at night.

I would agree, after having used the Kuma this year so far, that the Alpine is a perfect fit for our house and size. If the outdoor temp is above 28F, we have to maintain longer/slower burns with the Alpine lest we get cooked out of our home. It was 30F last night and we had to open windows because our living area temp was 77F.

Those were both concerns we had as well. We had initially wanted the Cascade and were told it would heat us out of the house (1600 sqft cabin). The viewing area (glass) is really nice and provides a good view of the fire. Loading for the most part has not been an issue. Most of my wood stock is cut around 16", though we do have about a cord of 18"+ that I'll need to trim. 14-16" is perfect for North/South loading. 16"-17" seem to load fine East/West, though I can squeeze in a 18".

Either way, we are happy with our decision. The alpine heats our entire house, except for the basement. Its in our living room area, which opens up to cathedral ceiling and a loft area where 2 bedrooms are. Leaving those doors opens keeps them toasty. Our kitchen/dining area is adjacent to the stove area and stays warm. Then we have a bedroom and bathroom on the opposite end of the house down a hallway. We have a 6" fan on the floor blowing cold air toward the stove are and it creates a nice convection. If its 72 in the living room its 68 in the back bedroom and bathroom. During the cold spat we had last week (or 2 wees ago, can't recall) we had temps of -3 F and the Kuma kept up really well. My living area never went below 70F except at night.

I would agree, after having used the Kuma this year so far, that the Alpine is a perfect fit for our house and size. If the outdoor temp is above 28F, we have to maintain longer/slower burns with the Alpine lest we get cooked out of our home. It was 30F last night and we had to open windows because our living area temp was 77F.
Thank you very much for the detailed information. Most of my wood on hand is 17-18 but I can trim As you mentioned. Overall from what I can tell Kuma seems to be well built. I don’t have dealer anywhere nearby so I will be ordering direct from Kuma and more than likely installing myself. I like the fact that I can just make a phone call to Kuma and they answer and seem helpful. They have already been helpful telling me how the install needs to go.

We have the Alpine also and would have got the cascade if it would have fit. More flexibility with wood size, more heat, and larger viewing area. Now for us when it gets below 20f the Alpine will not keep up and keep the whole very house warm. Our home is poorly insulated right now and has single pane windows and allot of them. So I would expect it to struggle with this 1600 sq ft ranch. Plus the stove is in the kitchen/dinette, not an ideal location. As far as the stove goes we just love it. I too have to deal with the wood size issue with this stove. We had 9 seasoned cords at 16-21 inches from when we had our PE Summit at our previous home. So I've been trimming them down for the last to years to load N/S most of the time. 3 cords left to go of Hickory for next year and I'm done trimming.
And you know what they say: You can make a small fire in a big stove, but not a large fire in a small stove. I'd go big with the Cascade, 2k ranch is a pretty big home.
We do have a Buck 74 with a 2.65 box at our vacation home up north. It can get a bit hot when the temp is 30f and up. But when its between 20f and -20f (which it is 2+months of the year) we need the big stove to keep the place nice and toasty.
You will be very happy with either of the Kuma stoves. Best stove we've ever owned.

We have the Alpine also and would have got the cascade if it would have fit. More flexibility with wood size, more heat, and larger viewing area. Now for us when it gets below 20f the Alpine will not keep up and keep the whole very house warm. Our home is poorly insulated right now and has single pane windows and allot of them. So I would expect it to struggle with this 1600 sq ft ranch. Plus the stove is in the kitchen/dinette, not an ideal location. As far as the stove goes we just love it. I too have to deal with the wood size issue with this stove. We had 9 seasoned cords at 16-21 inches from when we had our PE Summit at our previous home. So I've been trimming them down for the last to years to load N/S most of the time. 3 cords left to go of Hickory for next year and I'm done trimming.
And you know what they say: You can make a small fire in a big stove, but not a large fire in a small stove. I'd go big with the Cascade, 2k ranch is a pretty big home.
We do have a Buck 74 with a 2.65 box at our vacation home up north. It can get a bit hot when the temp is 30f and up. But when its between 20f and -20f (which it is 2+months of the year) we need the big stove to keep the place nice and toasty.
You will be very happy with either of the Kuma stoves. Best stove we've ever owned.
Great info, Thank you. My masonry fireplace will easily fit Alpine or Cascade stove. It has taken a lot of convincing to get my wife to agree to an insert. She loves looking at the fire in the fireplace, but as I have pointed out to her she doesn’t have to do any work to keep it going and the house gets colder the longer it burns. So I will say my number one priority is seeing the fire, gaining heat or slowing heat loss is second. Our home is not that well insulated, just the attic, nothing in the walls. I did put up ProVia storm windows a few ago, but the home is 70 years old. It’s the main living room that is always cold due to the fire place. We also remodeled a few years ago so the kitchen, living room and dining room all flow together , about 700 sq ft In total. Kuma basically said my house was on the line between Alpine and Cascade, although they thought the Alpine would run closer to it’s optimum intended burn rate. I am in KY so our weather goes through wild swings. The highs recently have been in the 20s, lows around 15 and a few single degree lows Mixed in. Also, my chimney is on the exterior of the house running about 20 to 23 feet high, which is why all the cold air drops in or penetrates the brick chimney. I really appreciate all the input.

I have the Cascade and love it! My had the same desires as your wife enjoying the aesthetics of the open fireplace. My concerns were the same as yours and I was able to finally convince her to go with the insert. Now she absolutely loves it! She stays warm and gets to enjoy watching the fire.

I have the Cascade and love it! My had the same desires as your wife enjoying the aesthetics of the open fireplace. My concerns were the same as yours and I was able to finally convince her to go with the insert. Now she absolutely loves it! She stays warm and gets to enjoy watching the fire

Thank you. How large an area are you heating? My only concern with Cascade ( according to Kuma is potentially to hot for my home) but I am not that well insulated and fireplace is on outside wall, plus it seems I don’t have to run the Cascade wide opeN.

Thank you. How large an area are you heating? My only concern with Cascade ( according to Kuma is potentially to hot for my home) but I am not that well insulated and fireplace is on outside wall, plus it seems I don’t have to run the Cascade wide opeN.
And my wife is an attorney so I have to carefully plan my arguments. Having my chimney cleaned and camera inspection soon, banking that the chimney will get an unfavorable report I can use in my argument.

I was trying to get this image into my previous reply so you could show your wife the viewing area of the Cascade.

Mine is located in our finished basement. I am having a difficult time getting the heat to the upstairs, but I think that will change once we remodel our kitchen and open up the house more on the main floor directly above the Cascade room.
Screenshot_20220209-103915_Video Player.jpg

I was trying to get this image into my previous reply so you could show your wife the viewing area of the Cascade.

Mine is located in our finished basement. I am having a difficult time getting the heat to the upstairs, but I think that will change once we remodel our kitchen and open up the house more on the main floor directly above the Cascade room.
View attachment 291870
Nice, Thank you, I really appreciate the pic.

Also, our house is about 2500² ft. I can heat the basement w/o issue. It is our first year with the insert (installed Oct 5th, 2021) so I'm still learning. I have a feeling I would have regretted getting the smaller Alpine.

Also, our house is about 2500² ft. I can heat the basement w/o issue. It is our first year with the insert (installed Oct 5th, 2021) so I'm still learning. I have a feeling I would have regretted getting the smaller Alpine.
Thank you. As soon as our furnace cuts off our house starts cooling down ( high efficiency Trane gas furnace) so basically runs on low ( variable speed ) most all day. This is why I want the insert, supplemental heat, run the insert at lower level all day and night.

I would suggest putting in the largest stove you can fit. If the larger one puts out too much heat just put less wood in, but with the smaller one if you need more heat you cant put in any extra once its full!