Kuuma Vapor Fire reload on small bed of coals

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

woodey

Feeling the Heat
Feb 8, 2018
ST. Lawrence Valley N.Y.
Loaded 5 splits on a small bed of coals tonight. First picture at 10:54, next pic. at 11:03, last pic. at 11:07. at which point the Kuuma is on pilot /gasification mode. Nice 👍🏻

DCDF56FB-1E09-4CB4-A2CB-ED2BEACFF5DA.jpeg EC6DFABF-D7D5-40AB-8A62-215891485A34.jpeg 10B27134-E5B2-4A33-8883-C1BBA4661502.jpeg

Last edited:
It doesn't take long at all to lose the "magic" once the door is opened. Your photo doesn't show what it looks like when it's doing it's thing. Last night I got a real good glimpse of the "magic". ==c It was really cool! It was a split second of a bright blue dancing flame ball in slow motion up over the front edge of the wood....then the door being cracked open too long took it away and turned it into smoke, in which some exited the door opening (I have my smoke shield removed) before I had a chance to close the door. The flame ball would have been behind the smoke flap had I had it installed.

Reactions: woodey
Yup, you have to slowly sneak up on the Kuuma and then be real quick with the handle to see the show!

Yup, you have to slowly sneak up on the Kuuma and then be real quick with the handle to see the show!
And have any long hairs pulled back...and be clean shaven ;lol
iu

And have any long hairs pulled back...and be clean shaven ;lol
iu

true story........that's why I don't like to open the door up as much as I once did. ;lol

All kidding aside, in the nearly 6 years I have had the Kuuma and the countless times I have opened the door I have yet to have even a slightest bit of blowback from this furnace. ( Including the times I snuck up on it to catch the show in the magic chamber;))

Last edited:
Reactions: brenndatomu
I have my smoke shield removed and I must have opened it at the wrong time and had my head real close to the opening (to try to catch a glimpse before it disappeared from the door being opened)......the flame ball reached out and bopped my in the head. ;lol

I watch the magic show all of the time on my Caddy. Love to see the secondaries hard at work with the entire firebox filled with flames.
I know it is not a practical reason to chose a furnace, but being able to watch the fire is really a big plus to me. There is no doubt that the Kuuma is a great furnace, probably even better than my Caddy, but here is nothing quite like soaking in the warmth, watching the fire & dozing off in front of the furnace . :)

I completely agree Dennis. If today's two high end options (Caddy Advanced and Kuuma) performed identically, I would choose the Caddy solely based on the glass door. I actually have a table and chair setup in my basement and often go down and read, browse the net, or just have a drink and relax watching the fire through the door. I even told my wife that when we get new LR furniture in a year or two, my old recliner is going down there...LOL...

Reactions: Wood1Dennis