La Crete on board

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xena

Minister of Fire
Nov 30, 2005
South Shore MA
Friend got em for us w his truck. Just finished stacking. No bargains but they burn hot and they were out of Okies so I got these for $349 @ 60 bags on the skid. Still better than paying for oil imo.
3A8EFCF4-C2B2-4042-A061-D71695746EA4-25918-000007D4ED1AB6FE.jpg

$5.82 a bag, WOW!

Eric

Friend got em for us w his truck. Just finished stacking. No bargains but they burn hot and they were out of Okies so I got these for $349 @ 60 bags on the skid. Still better than paying for oil imo.
I just got a truckload of those in a couple of weeks ago. Took home 10 bags to try them out because I had never tried them before. Nice, clean pellets but what amazed me the most was how little dust and fines are in the bag. You would have a hard time finding a thimble big enough to hold all of the fines from one bag. True...At roughly $290/ton you did not score any big bargain there, but its freaking January!!!... You got a fair price.... bargains are for March and Apriil, but I can assure you that you will love them!

I don't have too many choices so its either pay for the good stuff or pop for oil and its still less money for me to heat with these pellets and I like these and Okies plus SSWP is a mile from me which helps alot so I dont have to ask my friend to shlep far. No other pellet stores for miles and I have had it w the ashy crap from the big box stores. Here in my area of MA there are no bargains on quality pellets. SSWP has the upper hand since there are no other pellet houses around this area. If I ask my friend to shlep 40 mile RT to another pellet house, still no savings as his F250 will eat it in gas.

I don't have too many choices ......No other pellet stores for miles and I have had it w the ashy crap from the big box stores.
No Somersets or Greene Team at the Lowes near you? They've been real good burners for me this winter....even the Timber Heat (Dry Creek) they have sometimes?

No Somersets near here Pete and the GTs I hate them big mess in my stove. I've tried countless Depot and Lowes pellets. Too much ash for me. In my neck of the woods if you want top shelf it costs. Have a look at SSWP prices. All his pellets cost more than what you guys in other areas pay. He has no competition in the area.
CT I know I didnt get any deal but I have burned these and they are super clean and still costs me less than if I were trying to keep my house 75 degrees with oil.

Best pellet I have ever burned by far. That is a fair price. Light fluffy ash and awesome heat output. I am done with cheap pellets forever.

i also live about a mile away from sswp. who knows we might be neighbors and xena is my dogs name. this spring i am going to be installing a harman accentra insert in my house. i have been
doing a bunch of reseasrch on the computer and this site is hands down the best. living so close to sswp and owning a pellet stove seemed liked it would be a great thing. it will be very convenient and he does
have some good quality pellets, but his prices do seem pretty high. i was hoping to be paying in the ballpark of $200 a ton not $300. i have looked at the hd and lowes in our areas and they might have
good prices, but it seems like they carry not the best pellets. i can't figure it out people a little south and north of us on this site thier hd and lowes seem to carry better pellets than in our area.

I bought 2.5 tons of LaCretes last fall...still have at least 70 bags. Very clean pellet and better than average heat.

SSWP has the upper hand since there are no other pellet houses around this area.​
You did fine. And remember, if his prices were NOT fair and he WAS "over-charging", the mere laws of economics and capitalism would dictate that he would not be the only one in the area. The fact that he IS the only pellet house in the area reconfirms that his prices are fair, therefore allowing him to occupy a niche where competitors have not been able to "move in." Enjoy those LaCretes and thank your friends...they look like they were working hard!

Yeah, 290/ton in January is about the going rate in these parts for anything good. You did not do all that bad IMHO.
Of course you can get Green Supreme and Infernos for 209, Greene Team are still 260 and definitely NOT worth the money.

My g/f just paid 280 for Vermonts in Hampton NH. :Like I said, its the going rate about this time of year. LG's were 290 in Portsmouth, not worth it when compared to Vermont.

Stay warm and enjoy the super premiums !

I buy from SSWP as well but keep in mind Brockton Ice and Coal sells some pretty good pellets at a fair price as well. I think the last time I checked they were around $270 for Cubex!

These are 60 bag pallets so same difference.

i have not heard of cubex pellets before. how do they compare to some of the more popular pellets that people are like?

thats correct.they are on the corner of lawerence and montello.its been a while since i stopped in there but they had cubex, spruce point,eagle valley and newps last time i was there with the highest being cubex at $270.all bag prices are $6

Fmsm you mean Eastern Ice Co. on Lawrence St near downtown?
Yes! I think they were Brockton Ice and Coal and were bought out. I must be showing my age!

thats correct.they are on the corner of lawerence and montello.its been a while since i stopped in there but they had cubex, spruce point,eagle valley and newps last time i was there with the highest being cubex at $270.all bag prices are $6

Nice spread of pellets with decent mid winter prices on the good stuff: Cubex and Spruce Pointe

Yeah I was aware of Eastern Ice and also WB stove shop on 106 but neither have Okies or La Crete and I prefer these brands so I don't mind paying the .41 cents more per bag. Actually I like the La Crete best. They burn so freakin hot and clean, and almost no dust or fines in the bags. :) Some newbs to the forum might benefit from the info we've posted though so not for nothing. ;)

the stove shop in w.bridgewater is now out of business.i think he only lasted about 2yrs or so.too bad cause he carried turmans which burn sweet.there have been some Kozi stoves for sale on craigslist in recent months.i think it may be him trying to unload some of his floor models.rumor has it that he got a job offer that he couldnt turn down.i hope that was the case and he didnt just go belly up.seemed like a good guy to deal with

Nice spread of pellets with decent mid winter prices on the good stuff: Cubex and Spruce Pointe

Burning Spruce Pointe now and liking them a lot. Seem to have a little more fines in the bags than I remember. But still great heat and clean. I paid 280 a ton for the Spruces.

Status
Not open for further replies.