laCrete, AWF ultra, lignetics or Okanagan golds

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ranger72

Minister of Fire
Oct 11, 2014
Long Island, NY
I realized I'm into my last ton and decided that I'll buy one more to finish out the season. Damn cold winter had me go through over 3 tons all ready. Pellets on LI are notoriously expensive except when at the big box stores which don't carry pellets this late in the season. I listed my choices in the thread title. All are approximately 350 a ton. (lacretes are 50 bags, not the usual 60). Your opinions. I hear the Lacretes aren't up to previous years standards and am slightly leaning toward the AWF

The only one that I can help you with are the AWF White Pine pellets. I picked a ton up last Thursday and I must say they are great. Hardly any ash compared to the hardwood pellets I was burning earlier in the season. The heat is good also. $314/ton. Hope this helps......

Was there a lot of dust in the bag?

We just started in on the LaCrete's as we too had to go out and get that safety pallet. They seem fine so far - carried through some 12 degree weather or so without having to crank the stove up too high. No big ash issue either. Our Lacretes were actually 1.2 ton (60 bags) and not the standard 50.

They are all good and will give you heat with lower ash than most. Pick one and let us know how you like them.

I'm going to the one supplier today to grab a bag of the lignetics. If I like them I'll grab a ton.

Lignetics are my favorite by far. And ive burned awf, somersets, hamers, okanagan Douglas firs (second cause price and black glass) and barefoots

Was there a lot of dust in the bag?

That's what the wife and I were just discussing. We both agreed that there was more dust with these than the hardwoods we burned earlier in the season. This was a trial ton for us. The dealer we got these from also handles Okanagan Platinum Super Premium and Okanagan Gold pellets. Might try some of each next year.

Only have burned the AFW. My stove loves them but they do have more fins than most. I also burn barefoot and I would say that the AFW burn hotter and less ash. Many complain that the AFW leave there stoves dirty. I don't see this in my Harman, only light white ash on the inside. I can get the AFW ultras for $249 a ton so they are worth it for me.

Ok, just left the lumber yard and on the blind bought a ton of Lignetics.

Ok, extremely early results/ observations: medium to dark in color, marginally above average for dust on the bags, but very tolerable, they seem to be burning well this far, but only time will tell if they build up in the pot and are ashy. Heat output seems to be good.

I've used three of the four you mentioned and wasn't really impressed with any of them. We are currently burning the AWF Ultra White Pine and they do not seem very hot (we just finished our Oakie DFs so maybe that's why). And they leave the glass dirty almost immediately. Also lots of fines. The Lignetics were so-so - I thought they were very much like the Presto-Logs which we got cheaper - lots of ash also. The LaCretes - for the price - were not very hot and seemed to be lots of ash. We did also have AWF Hardwood (not sure of the exact name) - those were good for the price.

What lumber yard did you purchase from? We may need some more before the winter is done.

GTC, they are located on Vets Hwy in Holbrook. Bravo in Copaigue has lots of stock and supposedly Rella Coal is getting a shipment tomorrow, but 379 for Energex is too high, even for Long Island.
I was in and out of GTC within 5 minutes, nice staff, they placed the ton right into the bed quickly.

Attachments

• IMAG1421_1.jpg
    IMAG1421_1.jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 176
They seem to be burning well so far!

GTC, they are located on Vets Hwy in Holbrook. Bravo in Copaigue has lots of stock and supposedly Rella Coal is getting a shipment tomorrow, but 379 for Energex is too high, even for Long Island.
I was in and out of GTC within 5 minutes, nice staff, they placed the ton right into the bed quickly.

Thanks - I'll check them out. They only carry Lignetics?

Thanks - I'll check them out. They only carry Lignetics?
Yes, GTS only had the Lignetics. Bravo has a bunch in stock. Only been burning these since around five o'clock, but I'm thinking I'm going to like them. The burn pot is staying very clean.

Update. Like these pellets very much! My only gripe is they are a tad bit dusty. I use a coal bucket to pour the pellets into the hopper because the top of the stove could melt the plastic bags. I have to pour them slowly to avoid a dust cloud. Even that said, they are no where near the dustiest pellet ice burned. I have been running these Ligntetics for only a little over 24 hours, but they appear to be low ash, the burn pot is VERY clean with no kind of build up in the pot, a bright white flame with blue at the bottom and great heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.