Large flame and Creosote build up in P38 Harman pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

D21dey

Sep 28, 2018
PA USA
All,

This is my first time posting so I will try to include all of the information. If I miss anything please let me know and I will provide more.

I have had my stove for a year now and last winter it ran great heating my house no problem. I gave it a full cleaning every month. Towards the end of the year it started to build up soot. So l gave it another full cleaning including the feeder where the pellets drop from. It was about half full and I vacuumed it out. I was not able to see the door to see if was tilted or anything. I also cleaned off the probe in the exhaust. There was some build up but not to bad. I have also swept the exhaust pipe leading out of the house. So far none of this has made a difference. On start up the flame seems fine. But after about 20 mins the flame is large and there is build up of soot in the stove and build up of ash and some soot in the glass.

I have posted a image of the flame below.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thank you,

Dylan

Attachments

• 8BDFA94F-99B0-45D4-A3D8-90996E74FD76.jpeg
    8BDFA94F-99B0-45D4-A3D8-90996E74FD76.jpeg
    15.9 KB · Views: 270
Last edited by a moderator:
All,

This is my first time posting so I will try to include all of the information. If I miss anything please let me know and I will provide more.

I have had my stove for a year now and last winter it ran great heating my house no problem. I gave it a full cleaning every month. Towards the end of the year it started to build up soot. So l gave it another full cleaning including the feeder where the pellets drop from. It was about half full and I vacuumed it out. I was not able to see the door to see if was tilted or anything. I also cleaned off the probe in the exhaust. There was some build up but not to bad. I have also swept the exhaust pipe leading out of the house. So far none of this has made a difference. On start up the flame seems fine. But after about 20 mins the flame is large and there is build up of soot in the stove and build up of ash and some soot in the glass.

I have posted a image of the flame below.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thank you,

Dylan
Do you have the OAK hooked up? Is there a chance that the probe in the exhaust might have got damaged when you cleaned it?

Do you have the OAK hooked up? Is there a chance that the probe in the exhaust might have got damaged when you cleaned it?

Excuse my ignorance but what is the oak. I’ve looked at the probe but can not see any damage. I am planing on cleaning the stove again I can reEmile the probe to see if it is bent or damaged from when I cleaned it last. Thank you for the quick reply.

I don't see anything wrong with the flame - just looks like it is trying to get the space up to temp as directed by the probe or thermostat. Soot can mean a couple of things such as restricted air intake(doesn't matter whether you use an Outside Air Kit, OAK, or just pull in inside air). or air flow from other parts of the stove that disturbed the air flow. I would check under the burn pot to make sure that door is seated correctly, check the air holes in the burn pot to make sure they are clear, then check the door to the fines chamber (in back). Oh, does the flapper to your air intake work correctly?

I'm sure I've forgotten other things you should check - and other, more expert members, will be along to help out.