large house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bucketboy

Hearth Supporter
Aug 7, 2009
central ontario
we have a 4000 sq foot home consisting of 3 additions and a terrible layout. i have opened it up quite a bit but wondered if there was any truth to a large woodstove heating the house. we have a lakewood stove in the living room and it seems to heat about half the house comfortably and wondered if we had a larger stove if we would get more heat . or if a second large stove would do it? anyone else have a similar delima or advise? thanks in advance

bucketboy said:
we have a 4000 sq foot home consisting of 3 additions and a terrible layout. i have opened it up quite a bit but wondered if there was any truth to a large woodstove heating the house. we have a lakewood stove in the living room and it seems to heat about half the house comfortably and wondered if we had a larger stove if we would get more heat . or if a second large stove would do it? anyone else have a similar delima or advise? thanks in advance

If you post floor plans it would give us a better idea. But, for the most part a second stove or a wood furnace add-on is the solution. My floor plan is only 2,150-ish sq ft. but to get whole house heating I needed three stoves.

That's a big house . . . I might suggest going with a wood furnace or wood boiler . . . depending on what you have for a current heating system.

Put an Equinox right square in the middle and let er rip! I dont think there is a space heater made that will heat 4k sf from on location of a home unless maybe it was something like the equinox and the home had no walls and great insulation

I have a large house its 4000+ feet + basements and garages .
I close off about 1000 sf when its cold below 30o.
We just don't use the rooms .
I have a EQ and it heat about 2500 sf very well 3000 feet is OK down to around 20o .
The EQ burns alot of wood if the temps are below 20o .
I have garages on one side of the living space and a large 1000sf area on the other so we are insulated by unheated space.
You can really use 2 big stoves for 4000 feet .
If my fire gos out and the house gets cold it could take a hole day to warm up the house 10o
I'm adding about 700sf feet of space this year and will add a 2 nd stove.
John

Hi bucketboy because of your description of a terrible layout I'd be inclined to go with a second stove.

savageactor7 said:
Hi bucketboy because of your description of a terrible layout I'd be inclined to go with a second stove.

Or a smaller house...

Status
Not open for further replies.