large stove compared to smaller stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bull

Hearth Supporter
Dec 7, 2008
south east ky
i have a large fisher 2 door stove in basement that eats the wood but heat is great if i went to a smaller single door fisher would it use less wood and still get heat like the large one . trying to use less wood and still get the heat .what have you tried or know.

Switch to a big EPA stove like the Englander NC 30 and not another old Fisher. You'll get the same heat with less wood consumption and a lot less pollution.

I replaced a homemade, non EPA Fisher like stove, (step top, pipe caps for air cotnrol, etc) with an EPA certified Lopi Liberty. I now get twice the heat but am burning HALF the wood. A good switch if you ask me!

Yep, BG nailed it. Switching out a pre-epa with another pre-epa is like swimming up stream. You ain't gainin' 'nothin.

thanks guys just going with what i have . i love the fisher grandma 2 door . i have learned how to use it and it has long lasting burns . i just think i am using alot of wood . my dad has the mama bear that isnt being used , just thought it would use less. if what you say is true what stove is the best to buy. i would want it to be like the fisher . i dont want those cheap looking stoves at lowes. they look and are built like toys. thanks

check out this thread we had on fisher stoves a while back. I included some of the brochure material that I have for them.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/31077/

According to those, the mama and grandma bear stoves were rated for the same sq footage.

I personally burn a grandma bear fisher like you have and also have burned the mama bear fisher stove as well. Personally, I do think they have very similar heating abilities and burn about the same amount of wood.

I modified my grandma bear fisher to include a baffle plate which did not come on mine. Perhaps yours is one that did have a smoke shelf.

By using this I can load my stove about 3 1/2 times a day (actually 4 x but the 3rd time is a small load) now that I have added the baffle. I load at 5:30 - 6am, again about 1pm , again about 7:30 pm (small load) and then about 10-11 pm for bed. Each load contains about 5-7 pieces of 18inch wood depending on their size.

here is a link to that other post which includes pictures of the baffle I made and other ideas we had about modifiying these old beasts.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/31420/

Another individual who posted later in that thread also build a baffle but did it out of stainless steel and also added secondary tubes (very cool) and has had good results.

pen

the bull said:
thanks guys just going with what i have . i love the fisher grandma 2 door . i have learned how to use it and it has long lasting burns . i just think i am using alot of wood . my dad has the mama bear that isnt being used , just thought it would use less. if what you say is true what stove is the best to buy. i would want it to be like the fisher . i dont want those cheap looking stoves at lowes. they look and are built like toys. thanks

Although there are some thinner steel stoves at Lowes, the Englander (or Summers Heat) 30NC is quite stout. The dang thing weighs a ton and has nice thick steel plate.

Even heavier is the Pacific Energy Alderlea T6 which has a full castiron wrap around the heavy steel body. Both are good heaters as is the Avalon Olympic.

Status
Not open for further replies.