Largest Pellet Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Presently I heat with a Hearthstone Equinox wood stove. I use at lease 8 cords of wood. The house is still between 50-55 degrees average. Much to cold for my taste. I run the hearthstone in our living room on the first floor (The room we live in). I was thinking about putting the pellet stove either on the same floor (opposite end of the house) or in the basement? My wood is dry and not the problem. The house can't get any more insulated. I should also say I have a H.S. Tarm wood/coal boiler from the 70's in the basement. The thing kicks #$% but also burns ALOT of wood. I would probably burn about 14 cords of wood if only used the boiler. This equals alot of work which I don't have time for. Suggestions

Buying wood is not an option? You have 2 woodburners already. Green wood goes pretty cheap here, $100-$150 a cord. Buy green wood, stack and store it, keeping a 2+ year supply on hand. You could supplement whatever you are cutting yourself or just buy all the wood you need.

I understand the brick issue here in Michigan we have some friends with a brick home and its very cold. It's also very expensive to fill it with foam due to the labor involved . It sounds like your fix is not pellets at all but a two stove or big wood furnace setup. My friends run two NC 30 stoves for 2100 sq ft and that does the job nicely. They tried a pellet stove but it just wasn't enough eat and pellets cost more when your using 8-10 pounds an hour.

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.