last minute question, help needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

clark_bailey

Hearth Supporter
Dec 20, 2007
Alabama
When you create a firewall in a (vertical) chimney chase, using ICC excel 6 inch pipe, I utilized the flat piece of metal with hole in it for the pipe to pass through. It is a ICC firewall support flashing. In order to use the firewall flashing you have to build a frame from 2x4s to nail the flshing to. What do you do about the 2x4s supporting the metal flashing piece? They are like 2 1/2 inches from the pipe. Is that sufficient clearance to not catch the 2x4 supports on fire. I have the same question about the excel radiation shield, it too is supported by 2x4's that are on 16 inch centers, leaving only 13 inches between studs for a 8 inch outside diameter pipe to pass through, add 2 inches on each side for minimum clearance = 12 inches total. That leaves me with 2 1/2 inches from either side of the pipe to the 2x4 support members. Is this ok?

Swear I just posted this ??? to this thread.
Not familiar with ICC but most Class A is 2"CTC so you should be fine. Check the chimney manuf specs for clearence.

Status
Not open for further replies.