Late Summer Check-In

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Corey

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Midwest
Seeing as we are getting close to ushering in the first few minutes of Fall this evening (or early tomorrow morning for you east coasters) thought I'd drop by for a post.

Nice to see the forum is still up and running and expanded some, too! As some of you know, (and as info for any newbies) I had a great time posting on the forum last winter, had some great debates and learned a lot, too. But I had to bow out for summer as free time went to about zero and the thought of fires and firewood was far from my mind. I really despise winter…If it weren’t for the comfort of a warm crackling fire, I think I’d pack up and head south! Well, now we’ve had a couple of chilly mornings recently and a cold, rainy day today, so I am kind of slowly transitioning out of summer mode and back to fall / winter. (bad as I hate to say it!)

So what have I done over the summer – well, sad to say – not much! At least not much fire related. I have been traveling a lot for work and family, trying to get more remodeling done on the house. But as far as work on the stove and wood gathering – not too much!

So far, I have made a trip to the scrapyard and picked up some nice stainless steel sheet to build a new secondary combustor for the stove (still need some parts for the TIG welder and a fresh bottle of shielding gas before work can really start) I may throw up by “back of the envelope” sketches later and see what the forum has to say.

Other than that, I’ve searched out a couple of sources for wood cutting, but haven’t actually made it out. Now that the weather is cooler, I’m hoping to score a big pile of dead wood for this year and a couple of cords to season for next. Sadly, if I can’t find dead – only have about ¼ cord left over from last year, and it is mostly junk wood like poplar and elm.

Well, I better get back to work now and get to sketching some plans for the new combustor. Hope to be posting more as the weather cools off!

Corey

Hey Corey...Nice to see you around again. If you have the time, I'd get to the cutting now. I found last year that even dead wood is pretty wet if it's still standing. Trees are awfully effective at sucking up ground moisture.

Hi again Corey, good to have you back. I'm with you, winter is not my favorite season. I like growing things outdoors too much I guess and being warm never bothered me. How was your summer?

cozy heat for my feet said:
So what have I done over the summer – well, sad to say – not much! At least not much fire related.

Hey Corey, Welcome back. My question is... Did you burn any carbon rods this summer. ;)

Hi All

To dive right in to some of the questions -

Elk - The splitter is working fine...so far as I know! It's setting right where I parked it after splitting 1-1/2 cord of hedge last fall. It looks like I have a leaky drain plug (may need a bit more teflon tape) but should be good to go for this season.

Mo - Unfortunately, no carbon rod burning. (Has there been any more published info on the method and experiments?) I normally try to get out to the local lake about once a week during summer - This year I made it one time the whole season, if that tells you a little about how much "free" time I had. I basically look at summer as mid-May through mid September. 17 short weeks to pack in all the fun and sun I can handle. Unfortunately the garage/shop area turned into an "overflow" area for house and remodeling projects, then business and family travels kept me away from all of it

I kind of also did a silly thing when I traded my old Bronco in for an S-10 Blazer. Well, the Blazer is pretty small to haul most anything I've wanted to stuff inside so far. And it is totally useless for hauling wood. I had thought that I could just get a trailer and make a couple of trips a year for wood. But these weekend long "epic" wood cutting trips just don't seem to happen anymore. I kick myself every day wishing I had bought a truck so I could make several small "afternoon" gatherings that would be easier on the back and easier on the schedule!

Well, anyway, back to work. Ill post more as time allows.

Corey

Status
Not open for further replies.