Latest Score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HisTreeNut

Minister of Fire
Nov 3, 2014
Burnsville, NC
Got a small score from some friends that had a tree or two cut down.

Any guesses? :) ;) ;) :)

Hint...It's some good wood. :)

Of course, a picture or it didn't happen.

WP_20161220_001.jpg

Yeah...this is a sweet score. I spent a couple of hours busting up smaller rounds with the boys, loading it up, and then stacking it. There are between 10-15 rounds the size of the ones in the picture still left to go. Not sure if I will chainsaw & wedge them smaller or just rent a splitter. Regardless, I'm thinking I am going to get a couple of pallets of wood from it...a cord to a cord and a half, more or less.
Have to say that the smell of fresh split oak is s wonderful smell....even the boys commented on how nice it smelled in the van. Although in 2019, it's going to smell good another way. ;) :)

Nice! I can just about smell,it from here. Good BTU's for sure

Reactions: HisTreeNut
I have cut up about all I can by hand. Found about 12-15 small rounds buried by leaves. Bonus score! ! ! Some oak and some pine.

Will be renting a splitter for the remaining oak rounds...after the holidays. Over a dozen of them yet to go.
Today's haul...still need to stack on the woodpile because I surprised the kiddos and took them to see Rogue One (Occasionally, the stacking has to wait because you have to earn some serious Dad points :) ).
WP_20161223_18_38_11_Pro.jpg
The smaller stack is pine.

I have cut up about all I can by hand. Found about 12-15 small rounds buried by leaves. Bonus score! ! ! Some oak and some pine.

Will be renting a splitter for the remaining oak rounds...after the holidays. Over a dozen of them yet to go.
Today's haul...still need to stack on the woodpile because I surprised the kiddos and took them to see Rogue One (Occasionally, the stacking has to wait because you have to earn some serious Dad points :) ).
View attachment 191180
The smaller stack is pine.

Save the splitter rental for when a friends gives you the elm tree he cut down! Swing that maul [emoji16]

Reactions: HisTreeNut
Save the splitter rental for when a friends gives you the elm tree he cut down! Swing that maul [emoji16]
No worries there...all a splitter is supposed to do is make the pieces more manageable...my x27 would go on strike if I used a splitter to cut all the pieces to size. Santa got me a Fiskars hatchet, and I am thinking Santa needs to get me a Fiskars maul also. ;)
That being said, I will get my money's worth out of the splitter when I rent it. The dozen oak rounds left to do, my neighbor has a dozen or so pine or poplar rounds for me also. Our friend's neighbor has what appears to be a maple tree down and is saving it possibly for us as well. Got some good scrounging going on... :)

No, not yet. It isn't quite ripe yet :), although the dry summer did wonders for it. If I get I a pinch, I could burn the pine & poplar this spring but definitely next year. The cherry is looking good for next winter, and the oak is going to be a while.
That being said, I have plenty to get through this year and to start next year. Thanks for asking! ! !

Status
Not open for further replies.