Latest woodburning controls proposed in UK

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Simmo6108

Nov 24, 2015
Northampton, Britain
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/pa/article-5757593/Curbs-wood-burners-What-mean-households.html

It seems the government is proposing controls on the sale of wet wood. No clear strategy on how this is to be enforced (I have visions of uniformed "wood stasi"). What is clear is that the emphasis on enforcement will sit on local authorities, who are struggling to meet their current requirements never mind any added on.

My worry is how long do we enact and not enforce before the government say "ban all woodburners, its the only way" instead of properly resourcing and enforcing the previous legislation?

One thing I think it might do is bring in a requirement for cat stoves in some areas. These are not very prevalent in the UK as of today, but the more I read about them the more I think they would be the step up from the current secondary burn (DEFRA) requirements that would be needed to have a real effect on the PM2.5 emissions.

The other thing that is conspicuous by its absence is a real (I mean unified across all government departments and properly funded) strategy to deal with vehicle emissions. We cant even get the rail companies to talk to the bus companies to align timetables. We have the most expensive public transport in Europe and despite having excellent internet connectivity across the country, we have a large amount of companies insisting on having people sat at desks when a fair percentage of their work could be done remotely (I understand this is not always achievable).

Just to be clear, I am actually a zealot when it comes to drying wood (much to my wife's chagrin) and believe we should be looking at ways of trying to educate nationally about wet wood/low burn/emissions. That said, if people are not willing to find out for themselves, are they likely to pay attention?

Just as I posted te above, this popped into my inbox;

https://www.transport-network.co.uk...nd-transport-chiefs-slam-pollution-plan/15057

An excerpt;

"Modal shift and active travel hardly get a mention. We need to have cleaner vehicles but we should also encourage different travel choices so we can reduce the total number of vehicles on our roads. Investment in low-emissions buses is welcome but is even better if accompanied by a package of measures that will help people to make the choice to use them rather than their cars. The lack of focus on transport emissions looks complacent.’

‘The Government has rejected a ban on petrol and diesel cars before 2040. It seems that today’s announcement lacks the ambition and innovation that is desperately needed to cut vehicle emissions and, more importantly, reduce our reliance on cars. I welcome the Government’s recognition that emissions from diesel trains need to be reduced; but this sits uncomfortably alongside the Government’s cancellation of rail electrification schemes.

‘From a transport point of view, I feel this strategy falls well short of what we recommended in our report.’

Neil Parish, chair of the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs Committee, said: ‘The strategy falls short of what is required. There is a clear need for improved collaboration across Government departments to tackle this national health crisis, but the new strategy offers few concrete proposals on how this will be achieved.

‘The lack of attention paid to improving public transport is particularly troubling, as it is crucial to reduce the need for private vehicles in urban air quality hotspots. I hope that the Government will listen to the consultation responses and publish a more ambitious set of measures as soon as possible."

Seems we can all see that the emperor has no clothes on.

I'm all for better promotion and regulation of seasoned wood for better emissions control and more honest firewood sales.

Reactions: kennyp2339
As would I, hence the statement at the bottom of my first post. The points I was trying to make (rather poorly) was that there has been a huge song and dance made about wet wood, but the massive 500lb gorilla of transport emission's..........a lot of heat but no light. And secondly, regulation just leads to laws on the statute books being unenforced because of a lack of will and resources.

I have posted before about the UK gov and its (apparent) attempts to demonise the burning of wood for independent heat, while ignoring (or at least marginalising) the harm done by poor transport policy making.

With the regulation question, well we outlawed handguns in the UK and only the other day someone was shot in the street and 2 police shot at in a busy residential street. We have a massive (unreported) gun issue in the UK, and no amount of new laws will fix that, we need to enforce the ones we have.

Apparently people are too stupid to know dry wood burns better and cleaner than green but fear not because we are here to save you. Is there ANYTHING government's won't try to regulate and control?

People are too stupid. My BIL saw my 3 cord pile and remarked why I had so much. I asked if he needed any (for his small prefab in his townhouse) and he said no. I told him my wood needs to season for several years. He says no thanks.... he only buys SEASONED WOOD !!!.

He burnt 1 cord last winter in the traditional fireplace and I shudder to think how much creosote build up is in his pipe.