Lazy fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

xraycer

Nov 2, 2011
Pelham NH
Hi, everyone, its been awhile since I've been on this forum. The Englander has been running so well for the past 5 years, that I just haven't had any inquiry. However, that has changed in the past week. I noticed last weekend, that the flame was very lazy. So, I did my usual thorough weekly cleaning, and also the monthly flue cleaning. The flue is nearly filled up with black soot/ash. I've never seen it remotely this bad! I figured it was perhaps my door gasket, which was already in need of replacement. So, I replaced the door gasket. Let it cure for a day, per instruction, then lit the stove again. Still a lazy flame. Next day, after work, I pulled the exhaust blower, and found quite a build up of the same black soot/ash. I completely disassemble the unit and cleaned it up. Fan spun fine, so bearings seems to be functioning fine. Reinstalled the exhaust blower and flame improved, but still very large and lazy for a setting of 3feed/9blower. Perhaps the exhaust blower is running as strong as it should. I went ahead and ordered a new exhaust blower. Got the new blower swapped in last night.....still a lazy flame!:(
So, what should I look into next?

I am not familiar with the Englander pellet stoves. It sounds like you still have something possibly clogged or an air leak somewhere. Are you burning the same pellets just to rule that out? Do you have an OAK that could have a restriction?

Keep your old blower for a back up. Someone familiar with your stove should chime in with advice.

I am not familiar with the Englander pellet stoves. It sounds like you still have something possibly clogged or an air leak somewhere. Are you burning the same pellets just to rule that out? Do you have an OAK that could have a restriction?

Keep your old blower for a back up. Someone familiar with your stove should chime in with advice.

Same batch of pellets, Oki Douglas fir. There is an OAK. I'm going to check the OAK today to make sure its clear. No plan on trashing old exhaust blower since it appears not to be the culprit. Also planning on dismantling the burn pot cradle today to see if there's any obvious issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: bags
Have you done the burn pot mod (holes under plate plugged). Burn pot gasket in good shape? Holes in the burn plate clean? Impingement plate seated? Sealant around the combustion housing pealing?

Reactions: bags
LBT? I know you said you cleaned it good but before you go dropping anymore $$$ do the LBT and see what happens. Tap on the burn chamber walls with a rubber mallet too while the blower is running and be sure to disconnect the rubber tube from the vacuum switch

Have you done the burn pot mod (holes under plate plugged). Burn pot gasket in good shape? Holes in the burn plate clean? Impingement plate seated? Sealant around the combustion housing pealing?
No mods to burn pot. Burn pot is a year old and in good shape. I typically clean the burn pot every few days, scraping any clinker away with a gasket scrapper. Then vacuuming inside of where burn pot sits. So, holes are clean.
I don't know what the impingment plate is?

Combustion housing...is that what the burn pot sits on?

LBT? I know you said you cleaned it good but before you go dropping anymore $$$ do the LBT and see what happens. Tap on the burn chamber walls with a rubber mallet too while the blower is running and be sure to disconnect the rubber tube from the vacuum switch

You'll need to treat me like a newbie, I've been away from the forum for years now. What is LBT?
I typically clean behind the chamber wall with a plastic brush and then vacuuming up the fallen debris.

You'll need to treat me like a newbie, I've been away from the forum for years now. What is LBT?
I typically clean behind the chamber wall with a plastic brush and then vacuuming up the fallen debris.

Leaf blower trick. Do a search, but basically you attach a leaf blower (using the suction port) to the vent system outside, and it sucks all the ash out. As stated, be sure to disconnect the vacuum switch, or fix the door so it cant close completely.

Leaf blower trick. Do a search, but basically you attach a leaf blower (using the suction port) to the vent system outside, and it sucks all the ash out. As stated, be sure to disconnect the vacuum switch, or fix the door so it cant close completely.
I've already had the exhaust manifold off and got a decent look inside, but I'll try the LBT to see what else it may be able to remove.