Lazy flame causes?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Poor airflow, needs a cleaning! Lazy flame is an air-starved fire.

Yuck, great for the stove not so great for sending a lint eater all of the way to the top without getting a mess in the house and you'd have to get on the roof top use a super sucker (leaf blower/vac).

Something is stuck in those hidden areas that if poked, thumped, prodded, and hit with plenty of air flow should come out.

Rob,

I have a similar vent setup on my Enviro.

Out the back of the stove to a clean out "T" then straight up through the roof to a termination cap.

All of it 3"

I use a vent brush similar to a lint eater. Has a round set of bristles on a flexible PVC type plastic shaft that is about 1/4"-3/8" thick and about 10' long.

The brush works well for me.

What I do is to remove the vent from the stove at the T. Then pull off the fist 2 inside sections to just before the cathedral ceiling box.
I take those outside and run the brush through them until clean.
I go back in and while standing on a ladder, run the ash-vac (Shop Vac) with the hose sucking at the lower lip of the ceiling vent.
I then slowly run the brush up and down the vent, sucking up all the debris that falls down.
This gets about 95% of it.
The vac does a great job of catching it.
The rest I just vac up around the stove and hearth.

In the spring I pull off the term cap and clean that with compressed air.

Other Ideas....
Do you have an OAK? If so, is that blocked?

Could it be your pellets?
You might want to try a few bags of Ultra Premium, Super Whamo-dine, Works Great-Lasts a long time-Drains to the bilge pellets
(Or whatever the PFI is calling good pellets these days) to see if there is a difference. :)

Good Luck,
---Nailer---

Sorry for the ignorance but what is an OAK?

I also thought about different pellets, but this is the same batch that I've been using since the beginning of the season. Granted, I had these all summer, but they were in my garage dry and protected from the elements.

Are all the holes in the burn pot and versa grate Clean? Also is the versa grate working?

Wi Thundercat said:
Are all the holes in the burn pot and versa grate Clean? Also is the versa grate working?

Yep all holes clean. Im assuming the versa grate is working as I can hear the motor and the shaft in the rear of the stove is moving.

ylomnstr said:
Sorry for the ignorance but what is an OAK?

Outside Air Kit.

I was having a very similar problem. I came across this site while looking for a way to resolve. I read all I could and seem to have my stove burning better than the 1st day. ultimately it came from built up ash high in the back behind the baffles. I took it apart this morning, and did the tap on the back of the stove.. at 1st thinking I had gotten it all. Once i got a rythym going (using the back of a screwdriver) got the stove ringing.. more and more ash kept coming. I have done what I thought were thorough cleanings before complete with sticking a coat hanger up into the baffles.. any way thank you all whom have responded I found it very useful..

I had a similar problem recently and my problem was the pellets I was burning. I couldn't get through 2 bags without the burnpot filling up with clinkers which cause the pellets to pile up like in your photo. This could also be caused by too little air being supplied for combustion. Make sure your air intake is set correctly. For my Hastings, this is the width of a #2 pencil. Otherwise, maybe try another brand of pellet.

Status
Not open for further replies.